FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 07-27-2012, 02:54 PM

Default Splitting the engine case to inspect and maybe repair kickstart mech.

After going through previous posts about splitting the engine case, does the cylinder and head have to be removed? Flip it upside down and check the kick? Thanks in advance... I'm working on a gasket and seal set, and will do this in one day. As evidenced I really don't want the expense of a rebuild. This gentleman most likely won't leave the neighborhood.
Unread 07-27-2012, 05:06 PM

Yes, you can pull the bottom case off without removing the cylinders and top end. This is what you see

You can see the kickstart shaft at the rear of the case.

You will need to pull both side covers, clutch basket and oil pump on one side and the starter, starter chain, flywheel and flywheel housing. Basically strip both sides bare of hardware

Sloppy job...wear disposable gloves and keep a few rolls pf paper towels and a place to put oily stuff. I put a little aircraft case sealant on the housing surfaces before reassembling. You can find the sealant at NAPA
Unread 07-30-2012, 05:12 AM

So what did you find?????? Inquiring minds want to know????
Unread 07-30-2012, 09:35 AM

I know, I can't wait to see what it was. I have not split the cases yet. Followed some great advise here regarding removing the flywheel, rear axle screwed in, then rap it counterclockwise. It truly did just pop off. I had been trying clockwise to no avail. Both sides of the engine are removed. I need to get a gasket and seal set before cracking that baby open. I like the idea of kart green of doing that kind of repair in one day so one can remember what went where. I will report, with pics how it went.
Unread 07-31-2012, 04:53 AM

I always keep a camera in the shop to document my dis-assemblies- helps my weak old (or is that week old) mind.
Unread 09-05-2012, 03:45 PM

All,

Finally got brave enough to split the engine cases to find out why the kick start just spun freely. Was relatively easy, but stank of old oil. Boy oh boy, am I glad I did. After the aforementioned- found pieces pictured loose in the case. Had I tried to continue with the disassembly, cleaning and lubing to get this '65 CA 95 on the road- the pieces could have got thrown in the gears and lunched the engine- not to mention locking up the rear wheel with consequences unknown! Holy moly!
Pictures show the top view of each half of case, the kick start bits, parts cleaned- ready to go and where a gear rubs the case. This seems to be the right time to replace the seals exposed, Ebay here I come.
Thoughts on either replacing the whole kick shaft or getting a new pin that holds the pawl?
Spokes, I really would like that carb idle spring and maybe a kick shaft? Name your price. For real- not a donation to a charity. Kartgreen- the gentleman that shipped me free clutch friction discs for only a smattering of old Honda tools? Hopefully I'm not being too big for my pants and taking advantage of good men with parts in reserve...
Ebay is a good source too.
I'll be buying my tires, rimstrips and tubes from a local guy who's continuing the business inherited from his father amongst other stuff available to aftermarket dealers. Removing the old tires was a complete b-atch- he'll have to install. And will. For interested people- The Wheel Right Shop in Thomasville, NC. I've known the family for probably 35 years, used to visit the dad and shoot the sh#t and bought parts for the various and sundry bikes I've owned. A list would be a great new thread.
Thanks all...
Unread 09-05-2012, 03:53 PM

Sorry, didn't scroll down far enough to attach...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg enginepics 020.jpg (210.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg enginepics 021.jpg (200.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg enginepics 022.jpg (82.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg enginepics 023.jpg (157.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg enginepics 025.jpg (163.3 KB, 18 views)
Unread 09-05-2012, 04:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Wow, looks like the kick starter ratchet came apart. That certainly explains what you were observing.
Unread 09-05-2012, 04:59 PM

Big time came apart. I wondered why, when I got the bike the elec. starter was unhooked. Someone must have kicked it until it broke. There's a chip on the pawl. The petcock was repaired cheaply, the plugs were new, but show limited use. This had to be the early 90's. Someone tried to get it going, unsuccessfully.
Unread 09-05-2012, 06:17 PM

pm with an address and I will send two idle springs. I'm not sure which ones you will need. Honestly, the cost of postage will be under a dollar and the value of the springs is zero to 99.9999% of the population. So just pm an address.

Big regrets on the kick shaft. I moved my shop from Mn to GA last December and I am still looking for my box of CA95 engine parts....so no kickshaft here....
Unread 09-08-2012, 02:21 PM

Spokes, I'll send a PM for the carb idle springs. Thank you.
Found a NOS kick ratchet on ebay- ebay +? Whatever, $18 bucks shipped. After getting a seal kit this resto can proceed. My bud at The Wheel Right Shop is checking on tires, tubes and rim strips installed. The next big project is the gas tank. Rusted inside, will again search the forum for advice.
Thanx all.