FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 02-26-2012, 04:34 PM

Default Fuel line frustration

Hello, all!

First off, let me set the stage for this question. I know relatively little about the finer mechanics of my 65's engine. I had a fantastic mechanic help me bring her back to life and I've enjoyed the fruits of his expensive labors. But now I have a problem. After doing some paint work I was having some problems getting her started again. It had been a while since I ran her, so I knew there would be some issue. In the course of trying to get her running, I messed with the carburetor float bowl and the line from it came disconnected from wherever it was engaged. The ensuing mayhem included copious amounts of leaked fuel and extreme expletives. My problem is this: where the hell does that line connect? I'm utterly stumped. I've found no diagrams indicating where the lines go. My effort has included exploring inside the frame and trying to locate any possible place for the connection.

Help! What is this newb missing?

In advance, thank you for whatever you can offer. And thanks also for all of the fabulous help and info I've already received from this forum.

Regards,

nolapenguin
Unread 02-26-2012, 05:40 PM

The line on the float bowl is the carburetor over flow hose; when the fuel level gets to high in the float bowl it drains from this tube. The gas going everywhere is most likely from unlatching the float bowl, make sure the gasket didn't shift or crinkle when replacing the bowl. It's a good idea to turn the petcock to off to keep tank fuel from constantly running out through the carburetor floats when doing this. The two pictures show two different possible: To Petcock connections, the one without the hose is what mine looks like; the one with the hose is from hmmm wonder who that could be?

Connections as follows:

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 02-26-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Unread 02-27-2012, 04:31 AM

I have experienced similar overflow problems after storage as well. In my case, it was caused by the carb float getting hung up on the float bowl gasket which was too wide. A bit of judicious trimming with a razor knife solved the problem. The over flow line goes to nowhere, i.e., in other words, it vents excess fuel caused by a hight float level to your garage floor which is an unacceptable condition. It should never drip fuel, and doing so is an indication that the there is too much gas in the bowl. This can be a dangerous condition; in addition to stinking up your garage with gasoline fumes and causing family strife, it's a real safety issue! Try tapping the carb bowl when the fuel is dripping out of the vent, it might dislodge the sticky float and solve your problem.
Unread 02-27-2012, 03:43 PM

And that was exactly the problem. Can't thank you guys enough. This forum has been my bible when it comes to my Benly.