FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 08-12-2011, 01:32 PM

Default Refitting Rotor - Need Help

Hi All,
Have been slowly bringing a 1966 CA95 back to life - learning a lot along the way with lots coming from this forum.
Pulled the rotor (benefiting from the tip of using the rear axle bolt as a pulller - thanks to Sam Green).

Now need help in getting the rotor refitted. Seems no matter what variation I try, the woodruff key either dislodges or backs up against the oil seal.
So far I've not been able to get the rotor anywhere near home.
Appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks,
Unread 08-12-2011, 02:21 PM

Make sure that the key has no burrs. Carefully tap the key into the crankshaft as deep as it will go. Also make sure the key is level.

Lightly oil (3 in 1 or gun oil) the keyway, not to excess. Line up the key with the keyway and press on the flywheel.

You can wiggle and lightly tap the flywheel a bit to get it to fit. If you fail, try this process again.

If the stator is mounted and the magnets are fighting with the flywheel by pulling it one way or another, make plastic shimes from a discarded milk bottle to hold the flywheel as centered as possible while doing the above.
Unread 08-13-2011, 09:28 AM

Many thanks Spokes.
Didn't realize the magnets were pulling the rotor off center. Tried the plastic shims & it just smoothly pressed into place.
Greatly appreciate the tip.
Unread 08-14-2011, 10:32 AM

Default Setting woodruff keys

My grandfather showed me how to set woodruff keys when I was a little kid and I have yet to have any problems with them. I figured I'd pass on what he taught me. Place the key in the slot as shown in the diagram...making sure the front of the key is tapped in at the exact start of the key-way. See below diagram.

what happens is when the rotor key-way meets the key it slides it back abit til the bottom catches the shaft's key-way curve, matching the woodruff curve, then when tightened down the woodruff key then rocks fully into place. If that does not work for some reason as in a really loose key and the magnets keep messing with it...try putting it at the same angle as pictured with a drop of locktite between the key and its keyway on the shaft, that will hold it well enough for it to set as it was designed too when the rotor etc. is being placed back on.
Unread 08-15-2011, 01:11 AM

As most of you know, all my motors are race motors and having no generator system, I don't have the magnet problem when I refit what is left of the rotor.
All the magnets have been removed from the tapered centre section leaving me with just the timing disc on the end of it.
If the magnets cause that much of a problem, would it not be easier to fit the rotor before fitting the generator coils ?

Sam.