FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 03-16-2011, 08:20 AM

Default I know I screwed up, but how bad?

Here's the situation. I adjusted the valve tappets, triple checked, and was reinstalling the covers. Although it's been years since I broke off a bolt, screw, anything, but apparently I haven't learned my lesson. I didn't think I was over-tightening, but was apparently wrong.
So the question is, how screwed am I? Not like you can just throw on an extractor and pull it out. Should I just jb weld it on? If so, will I ever be able to get it off again without really torquing on it and possibly breaking off a cooling fin?
I've cut out little slices of carrier arm bushings on my old school lexus and pried them out. Off course, bushings are not threaded on the outside. Is this possible? What are the implications for metal fragments getting in on top of the valve(I suppose I could just make sure that side is closed and just shop vac it later)? And lastly, if this is the solution, what would I cut it with? I used a sawz all for the bushings, but am afraid the blade would beat up the valves.
I can't wait to ride again. It's getting hot here in Phoenix, so any opinions would be appreciated.
Unread 03-16-2011, 08:37 AM

here's some pictures, if I did it right:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG2282.JPG (440.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2278.JPG (483.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2279.JPG (340.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG2281.JPG (167.6 KB, 30 views)
Unread 03-16-2011, 09:39 AM

I would fit the nearest size socket and JB Weld it in. Be carefull not to get any epoxy on the threads. Let the JB cure and attach a rachet and remove it. Just a thought.

ps I have some extra tappet covers if you need a replacement. PM me with an address if so.
Unread 03-16-2011, 09:44 AM

Default brilliant

was just wondering about that. thanks. I guess I won't throw the bike out just yet

I'll pm you
Unread 03-17-2011, 07:07 AM

Default success

taped the outside of the engine and covered the inside (over and around the valves) with wax paper. JB welded and success! Barely had to torque it. that's why i love this forum!!!!
thanks Spokes
Unread 03-17-2011, 08:22 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Heh good trick! It's funny how such horrible situations can be handled with such simple fixes. You just have to figure out what to use to solve the puzzle! Fun stuff. Great to see your (immediate) problems are over.

Reminds me of working on stuff in general. Me and my friends will look at something that needs to be cut and we all know it needs to be done. But we have like 8 different types of tools to make it happen. We just have to remember which type of cutting tool will make the job easiest. We all have the tools but figuring out which ones to use is the trick.
Unread 03-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

This brings up another topic to mind. How tight to tighten various screws and bolts around these bikes. I really am easy on the hardware for these old engines as they are very soft (let alone hard to find original equipement hardware) compared to today's machines (as djbrett demonstrated here : ). I really think that these bikes should be dipped completely in a thin layer of blue threadlock!

I almost lost a tank badge while riding my CA160 last time. One of the screws backed out from the vibration which is a very bad thing since they are rare earth machine screws from Honda hehe. I locktite a lot of these bolts and screws now. The large valve adjustment caps aren't ever prone to rattling out so those are fine though.
Unread 03-17-2011, 09:33 AM

I hear that, threadlock has become my new best friend
Unread 03-17-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrett View Post
here's some pictures, if I did it right:

1. The last picture is blurry. Do you have a better one?
2. It's Ok to just call me stupid, but I can't look at your paragraph and your bottom two photo's and relate the two. What am I missing? In other words, what was the problem, how do the photo's illustrate it and what was the repair. (I am not a master mechanic like some here and am just trying to understand).
3. Does the first two photo's relate to the problem or just illustrative of your nice looking bike? It is a very nice looking bike by the way.
Thanks for any clarification
de
Unread 03-17-2011, 12:39 PM

here's a picture of a good valve cover and the one I snapped off. The one has threads, the other cover's threads are in the bike on the right hand side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG2286.jpg (397.1 KB, 23 views)
Unread 03-17-2011, 12:40 PM

oh, and the other two are just of the bike. I hadn't posted any yet and got the camera out for the problem. I figured, while I was there....
Unread 03-17-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbrett View Post
oh, and the other two are just of the bike. I hadn't posted any yet and got the camera out for the problem. I figured, while I was there....
Thanks for the clarification. Now I get it.
Nice looking Bike. My Benly is a red one as well. Personally I think it is a real beaut (your bike and mine as well). I've had it for about three years and haven't ridden it yet. I guess I'm one of those folks who believe haste makes waste and besides, if I live long enough I'll get to enjoy the bike and if I don't, someone else will.