FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 09-24-2010, 02:59 PM

Default New guy w/intro and Q on Honda Benly

Hi, I'm new here. I had several motorcycles over the yrs but gave up after the helmet law of the early 90's. However, I've been itching for an old bike. Maybe a 60's Bonneville or Honda Dream.....
Anyway, I have a shot at a 63 Honda Benly. Real art deco looking little 150. I haven't ridden it yet, but i know it smokes, and it wobbles above 45 MPH in the front end. My questions

1-What might the wobble be (it has new tires)?

2-He says they're kinda known for smoking...true/false?

3-How do you check the oil?

Thanks guys. If I left something out, go ahead and rip me a new one....but then answer the questions
Groucho is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Unread 09-24-2010, 05:14 PM

Welcome!

1.) The wobble is A.) Loose front suspension mount B.) Bad lower control arm bushings C.) Loose control arms D.) loose axle E.) Bad wheel bearings.

2.) The reason they are "known for smoking" is that they are old engines and most likely have 10K or more miles on them. Some engines sat for a long time and were restarted with dry cylinders and/or stuck rings. I would ride around town with a light oil burner, but nice new valves, guides, pistons and gaskets will solve your oil burn issue.

3.) Unscrew the dipstick, wipe the stick dry and insert loosely (don't screw in) The oil should register to the top of the flat end of the stick. The crank holds 950ml when completely drained and the oil filter cleaned out. Overfilling the case will cause oil burning.

Get the front end corrected. It's not worth the risk of injury not to do so.
Unread 09-24-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
Welcome!

1.) The wobble is A.) Loose front suspension mount B.) Bad lower control arm bushings C.) Loose control arms D.) loose axle E.) Bad wheel bearings.

2.) The reason they are "known for smoking" is that they are old engines and most likely have 10K or more miles on them. Some engines sat for a long time and were restarted with dry cylinders and/or stuck rings. I would ride around town with a light oil burner, but nice new valves, guides, pistons and gaskets will solve your oil burn issue.

3.) Unscrew the dipstick, wipe the stick dry and insert loosely (don't screw in) The oil should register to the top of the flat end of the stick. The crank holds 950ml when completely drained and the oil filter cleaned out. Overfilling the case will cause oil burning.

Get the front end corrected. It's not worth the risk of injury not to do so.
This one has 10K miles on it. Which I thought was LOW for one of these forever running Hondas
Unread 09-27-2010, 04:41 AM

Welcome to the forum Groucho. Re the front wobble, check what Spokes (Chip) says. Other than that, just check that the new front tyre has been mounted correct and check that the wheel is in balance.
Keep us informed.

Sam.