PDA

View Full Version : Building a Honda CA95 from Scratch-Where's The Bike Now?

Pages : 1 [2]

Spokes
03-06-2012, 04:00 AM
No, I'm sure the leak is from the oil passage. It may be the placement of the green "o" ring, forgot the "o" ring or a warped head. We will all know in a couple of days.

Smithers
03-06-2012, 07:08 AM
Oh no! Well the bike looks great and these little engines are easy to go through from top to bottom. I'm sure you'll have it sorted this week. I had a head gasket sealing problem with a V8 engine that I used solid head gaskets on. As soon as I got it all installed I started it up and instantly started mixing oil and coolant. :D I got to tear that engine down two times before I sorted the issue. Makes me just yell "GO FIGURE!" every time something like this happens. I do not envy the occupation of shop mechanic. With the complicated machines of today anything can happen. I love working on old iron.

I think a custom color Honda is worth as much as an original black or red one. It all depends on the condition and tastefulness of the restoration job. It's really nice to see a Honda cruising around with a candy paint job.

Spokes
03-07-2012, 04:45 PM
I have to admit that there have been a few times in my life that for some reason, I make a completely inexcusable mechanical error. The reason the engine squirted oil...?? The little green "O" ring? Nope....it's there and installed properly, Mismatched machined surface between the cylinder head and cylinder? No. It was an ID 10 T error

It squirted oil because I failed to install the cam chain gasket. The engine will be reassembled..with a new head gasket and the cam chain gasket.

phew.....

Smithers
03-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Now you may sleep tonight. :]

ByTheLake
03-08-2012, 02:35 AM
It squirted oil because I failed to install the cam chain gasket. The engine will be reassembled..with a new head gasket and the cam chain gasket.The rectangular o-ring type thing? I'm surprised that would have caused such a big leak.

Spokes
03-08-2012, 07:23 AM
Yes the retangular o ring. Once the cam chain started throwing the oil it fell out of the motor with a stream. The engine ran for 60 seconds and lost 50% of it's oil. What a mess. But soon all fixed and we will pick up where we left off.

Spokes
03-11-2012, 04:13 PM
The engine has been reassembled and mounted back into the frame.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP0dKIlvCFI&context=C4e60039ADvjVQa1PpcFNkBhIntEoQ2RZLOKHQQUDB Wu_sGwapDEI=

The carb needs tweeking and I will start building a solo seat and install turn signals. Soon I will undertake the Title and Registration task here in Georgia.

ByTheLake
03-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Looks and sounds superb. Nice work. Glad the oil evacuation system has been turned off. I can only hope that my engine sounds and runs as nicely.

Spokes
03-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Thanks By the Lake.

Here is a video of the 1st ride. My home is on a private lake shared with a few neighbors...my own test oval track around the lake. Sorry for the crappy sound as I was holding my Droid phone with one hand while trying to ride.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tahCnOqBHkc&context=C4e60039ADvjVQa1PpcFNkBhIntEoQ2RZLOKHQQUDB Wu_sGwapDEI=

ByTheLake
03-12-2012, 06:24 AM
Thanks for posting the video of the ride. Did you mount a seat? I'm guessing so. The engine sounded good. Amazing that you could hold a phone while controlling all that horsepower. :)

SinjinLe
03-17-2012, 02:00 PM
The engine has been reassembled and mounted back into the frame.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP0dKIlvCFI&context=C4e60039ADvjVQa1PpcFNkBhIntEoQ2RZLOKHQQUDB Wu_sGwapDEI=

The carb needs tweeking and I will start building a solo seat and install turn signals. Soon I will undertake the Title and Registration task here in Georgia.

NICE...Where did you get the rear turn signals from? I like those!

Spokes
03-17-2012, 04:10 PM
I build them myself. Basically they are a bullet light, single filament (you can get them as two filament)

I drill a hole through a stainless carrage bolt and cut the bolt to size just enough to mount on the cover plate. I hollow out the fender trim where the plate cover fits.

I drill and tap the plate mounting holes then install mounting studs. I bolt the signal assembly to the plate and then the plate to the fender trim. I use chrome acorn nuts to finish it off.

The wire from the light is run through the inner fender conduit and out the frame near the battery.

I do the ame thing for the front signals but use a a 3 piece "ricky "B" clamp on the handlebars. I make my own wire conduit and connect to the headlight bucket. I install a 3 way switch, a fuse and a "6V winker to complete the task.

SinjinLe
03-17-2012, 04:38 PM
I build them myself. Basically they are a bullet light, single filament (you can get them as two filament)

I drill a hole through a stainless carrage bolt and cut the bolt to size just enough to mount on the cover plate. I hollow out the fender trim where the plate cover fits.

I drill and tap the plate mounting holes then install mounting studs. I bolt the signal assembly to the plate and then the plate to the fender trim. I use chrome acorn nuts to finish it off.

The wire from the light is run through the inner fender conduit and out the frame near the battery.

I do the ame thing for the front signals but use a a 3 piece "ricky "B" clamp on the handlebars. I make my own wire conduit and connect to the headlight bucket. I install a 3 way switch, a fuse and a "6V winker to complete the task.

Wow, sounded like alot of work. I dont know if I am capable of that task. they look good, tho!

Spokes
03-31-2012, 06:13 PM
Just an update about the Build From Scratch Project.
Below is a pic of how she stands today
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=801 with a close up pic of a self modified badge:
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=802

I installed the headlight this evening and should begin the task of building a mounting system for the solo seat. Being that this is a bike built from many bikes I expected some issues when she finally got running (not to mention the cam gasket..duh)

One of the exhaust bolt holes has stripped out. I will put in a heli-coil in it to make it right. I have noticed that the inside of right exhaust pipe is wet with oil. Most likely it is a valve guide, although the engine now runs strong and shifts smooth.

I have developed a MAJOR paint flaw..on the tank no less! Gas vapor has seeped under the fuel cap and has uplifted the paint in a big way. At this point I am guessing that shooting the two part paint in cool weather up north may have been part of the cause. Now that the bike is near complete and 99.8% of the parts are present...I plan on one more teardown. I gotta repaint the bike. Ain't no big deal. I will shoot it when the weather is nice and hot here in Georgia. I did not like the color anyway. So being that the CA160 project is going to be white (Artic White w/ matching Buco Bags) the Build from scratch will be re-shot in the same white. Being that the ultimate destination for this build is for donation, maybe white is best. I plan to put a new valve guide on the exhust side while I'm at it...

Jetblackchemist
03-31-2012, 09:38 PM
The badge is a nice fit; in my home town, some Shriners used to ride some old fully dressed Cushman Eagles during parades. My car is an arctic white with a pearlescent flake; I think you are going to end up with two pretty bikes...from what I have seen the white Benly commands higher prices.

ByTheLake
04-01-2012, 01:56 AM
Is the Shriner logo upside-down? How did you make the custom tank badge?

Bummer about the paint lifting away. You make it sound like just a minor inconvenience, but that would have devastated me.

I'm interested in following the valve guide replacement, if that's what you decide to do. Please take a few pictures of that procedure.

Spokes
04-01-2012, 05:05 AM
The badge came from the 1968 CA160 I restored a couple of years ago. The bike was a retired Shriners bike that was given to me as a birthday gift from a friend. It just happened to fit the large oval tank panel. I have to double check if it's upside down as I just threw them on to fill the void.

Honestly, building or restoring these bikes is all about the journey for me. As I progress, I keep learning new techniques getting new idea's along the way. Case in point, I use a spare test frame to check for leaks in gas tanks....This idea came to me after wasting two engine paint jobs.

I wanted CA92 type straight handlebars. I bought drag bars and salvaged the ends from some wasted CA95 handlebars. I have a fabricator here in GA that will weld the old ends onto the cut new bars. After chrome they will look killer on the CA160. On top of that...I was given a de-burring wheel. The de-burring wheel makes short work of cheaning up rusted parts and saves time when polishing aluminum...I am sculpting the aluminim fender trim for the CA160 to make a way vintage custom mount for the Buco Twinmasters that will be painted and electrified to match....

So tearing down the Build from Scratch is no big deal. It's not like I need to clean every part again and everything is clean.....it's the journey

Oh, speaking of restoration technique. Being that I take on the wasted bikes, The CA160 build will be assembled without painting...kind of "as is" I will make sure to check all of the critical items while assembling. This way I work out the bugs and then do the paint and finesse. The sandblaster will be pleased to get the work...I don't remove the paint...I just do the body work and apply it...LOL

Jetblackchemist
04-01-2012, 05:43 PM
Sounds like a good plan, it also sounds like bike building is a hobby you enjoy; It's the same for me. Some people like model planes and ships in bottles; but those you can only look at...

The get it in running condition first, before a tear down and rebuild; is very good advice. I have heard of many people spending countless hours and dollars only to get it together and it not run. Definitely, best to chase out the gremlins first.

I didn't try to get the 454LTD running first; and I have been crossing my fingers for a few months, hoping that it's not going to come back, and bite me in the ass for it.

I like the badge upside down; it gives it a personal touch and isn't immediately identifiable...when I first looked at it; I thought it a Russian or German radiator badge due to the red star.

Spokes
04-01-2012, 07:54 PM
I have to admit again that I just threw the badges on the tank to fill the void. Go figure..I put them in upside down. This will be corrected before the garage door goes up next time.

Funny that it does look like a Red Army logo.....

I can appreciate building the 454. My nephew built a real nice Nova SS clone. Spared no cost. Built the 396, punched it out to 427 painted, trimmed in chrome with all the goods and built to the max.

But he has my dumbazz gene...and installed the valley pan wrong. He starts the motor only to fill the oil with antifreeze. Poor boy had a cow..got bent outta shape real bad.....

But got it right and moved on.....

Jetblackchemist
04-02-2012, 05:34 PM
The 454 is an interesting one; it has a sport bike power plant, and cruiser styling...many dub it as the ugliest bike ever made. I personally don't like short rear fenders, the rest I like.

If I have a bad day; I go work on my projects to relax. If the bad day continues into the build such as a stripped bolt etc. I'll just quit and come back later, anytime I try to push through it...the relaxation tends to end, frustration sets in and more things are bound to go wrong. Taking away all the fun and enjoyment.

I would hate to spend so much time and effort, only to have it blow up in my face; that's why I agree that it's the journey that makes it worth while. A race to the end, brings short cuts, mistakes not properly dealt with etc. I believe going slow and taking your time and doing it right is a key to mastering anything...you have time to think and really focus on what you are doing.

I learned all this growing up with a dad that rushed doing everything, if you're always the one moving backwards when moving furniture; and getting shoved up or down stairs, because the other person is in a rush...people like that become annoying. Anytime I did rush parts of the CA95 build, mistakes were made...so that old girl helped seal the deal and make it all clear, for all future projects.

Are you still planning on a chopper build after your current ones are finished?

Spokes
04-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Yes, I'm thinking about a chopper build, but next year. I think I will buy a older V twin and mess with it. Not sure about any detail as of yet.

My father was the guy who did everything slow and perfect. Mr Phd Engineer, dragged me through 49 states and 16 countries before I was 13. I witnessed 2 communist revolutions in latin America in 63 and was behind the Iron Curtain in July of 65. You might say I grew up fast.

But as I got older...I became much like him.....slow and detail oriented. The Honda gig is just a hobby, like you said..some people build models, paint, fish, hunt, collect coins.....

Larzfromarz
04-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Hey Spokes,
Its good to see you moving forward and as long as you are learning its all good. Hell all my mistakes give us something to talk about and something for me to laugh at, eventually. I guess you call it part of our "Odyssey" to pun a Honda term.
Private lake test track though.... very jealous!

Spokes
05-12-2012, 06:36 PM
While I was collecting parts for the build from scratch, I was also collecting parts and buying beat up vintage Buco Twinmaster Saddlebags. Below is a shot of one of the stripped bags and my custom lights being fitted on the bike.
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=808

The CA160 build will have a set as well. I have a 3rd set of bags but they will need some repair. Not sure what I will do with those...

Spokes
06-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Time Stamp 6-9-2012

I finally figured out how to rebuild a standard seat. This shot includes a set of nearly refinished set of Buco Saddlebags. The bags sport my custom built L.E.D. ready lights and new latches. All that is left is the carb air cleaner and the installation of the carb covers. I should have the registration and plates soon.

Again, once the bike runs perfect and all the bugs worked out, it will be torn down and painted white along with the CA160. Then it will be time for donation.

http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=811
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=812

I would like to thank all of the nearly 100,000 hits do date that have watched and read about my project over the past 3 years. Thank you Smithers for a great forum.

There will be some more updates until the final conclusion later this summer.

Puzzleparadise
06-09-2012, 10:30 AM
Awesome!!!:cool:

kartgreen
06-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Chip ,your the master !!! Great looking build . Once you donate the bike let me know if their going to auction or raffle the bike . There might be a place for it next to the red bike .

Spokes
06-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Rodger..Thank you. I will let the forum know when the donation date is and detail of the auction. I really don't expect that the bike will bring big money, but rather awareness. The strange turn of events has happened though. I'm not sure if I have reported this in the forum. My direct report is to a fella who spent 29yrs in the Navy and is currently a Navy Reserve Commander. While returning from a weekend of service he had swelling in one testicle. He now is out on medical leave doing chemo after surgery. It is his wife who works for the American Cancer Society that will coordinate bikes pick up and auction.

I expect to see Carl in August. I expect that the bike should be re painted and finished sometime Aug or Sept.

The Build From Scratch Honda Dream seems to have developed a legecy who's history is documented here in this forum. During the build my own sister survived breast cancer, now someone whom I have great respect and is a proven leader is now in the battle. This little bike is now a survivor. I hope it makes a big hit for cancer awareness. It will be cool.

Buckets81
06-09-2012, 07:07 PM
That's an awesome bike built for a good cause. Hopefully you can get some coverage from the local media. It looks beautiful and helps motivate me to get my project on the road.

kartgreen
06-10-2012, 04:59 AM
Chip , unfortunately cancer has affected many people and families but more and more people are surviving due to medical advances in the field . Anthing that bring awareness to the problems associated with any illness is a good thing and should be applauded . Hopefully your donation will continue to remind people that anyone can and should invest a little time and energy in helping out .
I'm wondering if an auction like Mecum's might be a good fit to sell the bike . They like to inject charity sales in their auctions . It's good buisness for them and brings more awareness to the cause . It might be something for your friend to think about . Like you say there has been an amazing amount of interest in the build , could be a great story .

ByTheLake
06-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Well done. The project, and the purpose, are inspirational. Thanks for sharing the details and pictures.

ByTheLake
06-12-2012, 01:40 AM
Hey Spokes, did you have any issues bending the chrome auto door trim around a corner or tight radius? Any tips or tricks?

Spokes
06-12-2012, 02:55 AM
No tricks really, but I found that if you warm the trim in the sun it makes it really pliable.

Spokes
06-25-2012, 05:13 PM
Time Stamp 6-25-2012

The formula for making the Build From Scratch legal in Georgia is pretty straight forward. All I needed was a Bill of Sale from the owner of the frame, be a legal resident of Georgia with a valid drivers license, insurance and an inspection from local law enforcement to verify the serial numbers and do a search of the frame number

Georgia does not title any vehicle build prior to 1985.....but will register the vehicle provided all of the above criteria are met.

Below is a pic of our local finest looking over the bike. Tomorrow..plates
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=817

Jetblackchemist
06-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Georgia is a barn find restorers dream when it comes to titling; I wish your neighbor state to the North would take a hint, but they follow how NC does things. It could be the first motorcycle ever made and SC would say it should have a 15 digit VIN and a chain of title stretching back to the day it was made; if that chain broke in there some where, we're not talking hurdles; we're talking steeple chase with a pack of wild rabid dogs behind you. :rolleyes:

Glad to see it almost to it destination; and hope the auction proceeds saves some lives, the new owner loving the bike is a given. Nice work, I'm looking forward to your future builds. :cool: