FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 07-06-2012, 10:44 AM

Default Oil leak

CA95: Pulled the left panel (holding the points) and looks like the leak is seeping from the bottom between the stator assembly and the 6 bolt cover surrounding it as well as the between this cover and the engine case.

I did not remove the cover (the starter chain goes through it) or stator assembly as I do not know what to do next and don't want to screw something up. What next.......help? I do have the service manual.

NOTE: Did some manual research.....could it be the gasket between the left crankcase cover and engine and/or oil seal part # 91305-202-010 (left crankcase cover alternator oil seal). If so, how do I replace the oil seal...I just ordered an o.e.m. just in case. I have the replacement gasket.

also the lower stator assembly got wet with oil....should I clean it or leave it alone?

Thanks folks!

Last edited by 1911tex; 07-06-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Unread 07-06-2012, 11:50 AM

It sounds like your crank case is leaking along the horizontal seam. You'll have to split the tranny to fix the leak; if that is indeed where you see it coming from; you could clean up the oil and torque all the tranny bolts and check it again; after some riding and see if it is still leaking. Unless it is already out of the bike and partially dismantled then...

It would be a good idea to break it down snapping off a lot of pictures as you go; that way you can see how everything was at each step and bag and tag all fasteners and parts that group together.

If you turn the crank with a wrench you can get the cam chain master link in a good spot to ease it off; just keep going taking your time til it is dissembled, it's not a very complicated motor, every part has a clear function and is minimalist as to what it required to function well.

So take some breaths and don't let it overwhelm you, and have some confidence. If you can take it all apart then; it's just as easy to put it all back together. The pictures, bags, and tags make it a cinch. I used to not need to do that...it could have been more than a year, and I'd know right where everything went. Funny thing about age; you don't see the peak until you're already over it, flying down the other side. I am trying to enjoy the downhill; enough to take my hands off the bars, and feet off the pegs, and not look back
Unread 07-06-2012, 12:34 PM

I think you will find the leak at the crankshaft seal.

Pull the housing and replace the housing gasket and seal(s)

The horzontal seam is behind the housing. The case seal matters not at this part of the motor as behind it is as open to the crankcase as one can get.

Last edited by Spokes; 07-06-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Unread 07-06-2012, 01:37 PM

Thats it SPOKES......do you have an illustrated manner in which to remove the stator and other parts in order to get to your photo above? MUCHAS, MUCHAS GRACIAS!!!
Unread 07-06-2012, 05:27 PM

No, actually. PM me with an email address and I can send you the blow up parts manual for the bike. When you see the page with the blow up of the engine you will see what you need to do.

But in the meantime, remove the flywheel bolt. Use the rear axle bolt to remove the flywheel...say what???.. yes, the rear axle will screw into the internal threads of the flywheel. Tighten untill the flywheel pops off. Remove the stator. If the motor is mounted, hang the stator out of the way of your repair. This techique will save the trouble of disconnecting the stator from the wiring harness. You should see the starter chain and sprockets at this point.

Loosen the starter motor, remove the snap ring from the starter motor shaft at the sprocket. Remove the screws on the stator housing. Tap loose the housing then pull the housing and starter chain & sprockets off at the same time. This technique saves the pain of removing the reinstalling the tiny master link to the starter chain.

Clean all mating surfaces. remove and replace both crankshaft seals. Clean the crankshaft and lubricate with light oil (3 in 1 or gun oil)

Tack the stator housing gasket to the engine case. Slip on the housing and starter sprockets & chain. Tighten the housing, starter motor, reinstall the starter motor sprocket "c" clip. Install the stator.

NOW THE CHALLENGE... Installing the flywheel. Make sure there are no burrs on the key. Tap the key deeply into the crankshaft. Lightly lube the key.

Make a full sleeve for the flywheel from a soda bottle. Slip the soda bottle sleeve into the stator. Then align the keyway in the flywheel with the key in the crankshaft and tap lightly until the flywheel is seated. NOTE! Sometimes this takes a couple of attempts. Then install the flywheel bolt.

That' how I do it. You may get several opinions of how to best install the flywheel.

Good luck!

Oh yes. I clean my stators with Westley's White Wall cleaner & warm water. This has worked for me on
two CA95's and three CA160's.

Last edited by Spokes; 07-06-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Unread 07-07-2012, 03:34 AM

Thanks to each of you......It will be a psyched up job for me; but I will do it and also submit results........you folks are really terrific.
Unread 07-07-2012, 04:15 PM

No worries, glad the problem got sorted. You must have been editing your post, as I was typing a response. I was about to upgrade minor alzheimer's to full blown senility, after going back and reading your post.
Unread 07-10-2012, 04:53 AM

Welcome Tex, If you have by now got the case with the two seals off, it won't do no harm to replace them as they can be bought off the shelf from most bearing shops.
A thing to note though (maybe overlooked by our very tallented Mr Spokes)
only one of the seals (the inner one) is the crankshaft seal.
The outer seal seals the case to the starter gear and if you look carefully you will see a little hole in the case that (daft as it sounds) lets a small amount of oil past the inner crank seal to lubricate the starter gear.
Over time some of this oil WILL find its way into the generator case so what people think is an oil leak is no more than what is supposed to be there.
If it is excesive though, replace them.

Sam.
Unread 07-10-2012, 07:23 AM

SAM GREEN: Good to know! I ordered the seals off ebay...got a too late hint from SPOKES that these are available via local Honda dealers.......cheaper!!! I guess the only suggestion I can make is before ordering off ebay, check dealer availability on all parts, then compare prices. I could have saved half just on the seals....! I will report on my unique seal replacement experience next week.....when I get everything buttoned up.