FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 09-25-2012, 12:58 PM

Default Nice cylinder head >>>

Just noticed this on ebay.......I dont need it, but it looks great and the seller will take offers.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Honda-C...68a7c4&vxp=mtr

Last edited by 1911tex; 09-25-2012 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Whoops.......forgot to add the address!
Unread 09-25-2012, 04:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Cool - where is it?

Anyway, until the link shows up, has anybody had any experience with this "vapor blasting" service? The prices seem quite good ($35 for most big cast parts), and the results look fantastic.

Maybe for my next project.
Unread 09-25-2012, 05:58 PM

Yea I saw it. I made an offer as I need a new head for the Build from Scratch. I will keep an eye on it. Max value on a good CA95 head should be around $80.00
Unread 09-25-2012, 06:29 PM

ByTheLake: I forgot to add the address !!!??? See above edit............
Unread 09-26-2012, 06:11 AM

Angry

"Was in service on one of my daily riders until 9-13-12. This bike ran beautifully. The motor did not use oil or smoke or have any issues"...

So can anybody tell what good it does to part this bike out? This is just a real shame. There are hundreds of worse off bikes (I've got one). This breaks my heart to see such a nice example abused by a breaker. There really is no excuse in my book, but hey I'm a preservationist, call me kooky.
And for nearly 200 bucks I'd pull the head I have and recondition it myself.
I've see complete bikes for $200 and only paid $50 for mine. I looked at the rest of his stuff and found it to be moderate to high priced.

WHY break a great running bike with title, somebody please tell me....
Unread 09-26-2012, 06:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Yeah, some folks have no emotional attachment, and simply see the bike as the sum of its parts. You can look at it constructively, though. A year ago somebody parted-out an excellent CA95, and I grabbed the front fender and fuel tank side panels off eBay. One bike dies so others can live.

For those of us that like to 'preserve', we need parts, and people like this owner provide those parts.

Still, when I started my project, I intentionally hunted for a bike in the worst condition I could find. I wanted the challenge. My bike was less than a parts-bike :-)
Unread 09-26-2012, 08:00 AM

I went to the link and I was a little puzzled by his description of the head coming off a very nice low mile CA95. Why would he sell the head off such a nice bike? Greed. I went to his eBay store and that nice CA95 is now in 54 pieces. He is in the business of finding good old bikes cheap and breaking them up into the smallest sellable pieces to maximize his profit margin. Rather than sell complete wheel assemblies, guys like him strip them down to the bare rim and sell the brake assemblies, tires and even the axle seperately. He's the guy that beats everyone else to the Craigslist finds then can't wait to tear them apart for the all mighty dollar. Greed. Anyway, that's what I think.
Steve
Unread 09-26-2012, 11:00 AM

Greed for sure Steveo...
BTL there is still too much junk out there to trash a nice bike though, shameful.
We all recognize the need for a parts, they just don't make em anymore but there are still enough rough bikes that need to go first. I have the same feelings regarding cafe bikes. I love em but can't stomach cutting up a decent (or even pristine) vintage bike when there are junkyards full of great starts.
IMO is shows zero imagination to cut up a nice bike just to save a couple of pounds...hell I'd say drink a few less beers to make up the diff and keep nice bikes... well... nice.
Stepping down from the soapbox now...
Unread 09-26-2012, 03:30 PM

I guess you can look at the positive side, if there is one; steverinomeiste stated the seller must have broken the bike down to 54 parts........maybe, in a strange way, there will be up to 54 CA95 restorations that will benefit from one sacrificed low mileage CA95 part ?
Unread 09-26-2012, 07:28 PM

I see a hell of alot of unsold parts, look at completed items and see that the unsold parts far outweigh the sold ones. So do these guys actually end up selling all the parts? If not what happens to the unsold pieces? I have a 2nd parts bike that came with the bike I am restoring at one point I thought I could make some $$ to help for the restoration but not so sure.
Unread 09-27-2012, 05:35 AM

edc...just look at any of the breakers on ebay, many of them have thousands of parts listed (look at mistermonkeyclaw for instance). I have listings I have watched and the parts languish for months (presumably due to pricing). Essentially much just gets warehoused and at some point most "breakers" are also "scrapers" when the value of the parts as scrap outweigh the effort they put into it. So sure, someday those toaster panels you want will become paperclips or something else. There is no question these guys perform a service we take advantage of, but I'd rather horse trade sometimes with members of the hobby. I am guilty of using breakers, I'll admit it but I am still a bargain hunter (as I think most are) and many breakers are overpriced IMO.
Still an almost free country, so I guess break away, and be my competition to save bikes instead of destroying them.
Unread 10-21-2012, 11:01 PM

Default I am in the search of a nice CA95 replacement head.

Picked up another rough CA95 a couple months ago (1963) for $300 and finally got it running today. It was going to be a "parts bike" just for the motor (what I told myself and my wife), but I couldn't bear to break it down. Obviously, I have a real problem with the whole "breaker issue" being discussed here. Anyway, it needed a new battery, plugs, a carb rebuild and a hot wire from the battery. Problem is it smokes out the left exhaust. Comression is a good 135 psi on the right, but a mere 100 on the left side, and it dirties the left plug quickly too. So, a new set of pistons it needs. But the head has some broken fins, and since I'm going to the effort to replace the pistons, I thought it only right to replace the head with a nice one if possible. Please let me know if any of you have a good CA95 head with nice fins that you're willing to sell. Thanks - Dane
Unread 10-22-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frappy View Post
Picked up another rough CA95 a couple months ago (1963) for $300 and finally got it running today. It was going to be a "parts bike" just for the motor (what I told myself and my wife), but I couldn't bear to break it down. Obviously, I have a real problem with the whole "breaker issue" being discussed here. Anyway, it needed a new battery, plugs, a carb rebuild and a hot wire from the battery. Problem is it smokes out the left exhaust. Comression is a good 135 psi on the right, but a mere 100 on the left side, and it dirties the left plug quickly too. So, a new set of pistons it needs. But the head has some broken fins, and since I'm going to the effort to replace the pistons, I thought it only right to replace the head with a nice one if possible. Please let me know if any of you have a good CA95 head with nice fins that you're willing to sell. Thanks - Dane
Mine smoked on the right side for a while after sitting for a winter, but some penetrating lubricant and running got the rings un-stuck.
Unread 10-22-2012, 11:35 PM

Compwiz101, Words of wisdom do come from experience. I will try your suggestion and see what happens. This would be a much better solution than tearing apart the engine. Did you mix Magic Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase oil, pour it in the cylinders and let it sit, or did you use another product or approach? Thanks - Dane
Unread 10-23-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frappy View Post
Compwiz101, Words of wisdom do come from experience. I will try your suggestion and see what happens. This would be a much better solution than tearing apart the engine. Did you mix Magic Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase oil, pour it in the cylinders and let it sit, or did you use another product or approach? Thanks - Dane
MMO isn't sold in my area, so I poured Deep Creep (Seafoam in an aerosol can) into the cylinder. I kept topping it up every couple of days (as the level dropped), and then cranked it over. I finished off with a change of oil to carry away the excess penetrating oil and dirt.

It still took a while to stop smoking with running (and I had to clean oil out of the header pipe), but eventually it did stop. Now I'm back to the regular level of smoking (from both cylinders), instead of the portable smog machine .