FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 01-23-2012, 04:38 PM

Default Its Time to restore my 64 CA95......

Bought this baby last year, finally getting around to cleaning her up.

Unread 01-24-2012, 08:05 AM

Lookin good ! Looks like your paying attention to detail as you restore the little guy . Thats always a good thing , catch those gremlins before and not after the build .
Unread 03-16-2012, 05:02 AM

Default updated

The frame is going to get a new powercoat! which color should i go for?
Unread 03-16-2012, 10:19 PM

Colors...are you planning on an accent color? If so I would use a complementary color to that for the frame. Such as my accent color being red and the frame a Detroit diesel green. I would suggest doing an image search to see what combinations appeal to you.

If you have a favorite color then it's an easier choice; but do know if you ever plan to sell it; not everyone has the same tastes. So you are better off choosing a stock color such as white in such a case.
Unread 03-17-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetblackchemist View Post
...but do know if you ever plan to sell it; not everyone has the same tastes. So you are better off choosing a stock color such as white in such a case.
Jet, Great advice. When selling, the stock colors will always appeal to a larger market segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartgreen View Post
...catch those gremlins before and not after the build...
kart, How true. Taking the time to disassemble and carefully inspect all parts during a rebuild will ensure a greater probablility of success and a reliable bike for years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinjinLe View Post
...Bought this baby last year, finally getting around to cleaning her up.
SinjinLe, Keep up the good work!

All, To me, SinjinLe's CA95 appears to have the early flat-sided mufflers. Shouldn't it have the later model cigar-style muffs?
Unread 03-17-2012, 02:09 PM

The bike apart! got a local guy here that will power coat the whole bike for $350. As far as the color. I am thinking RED or BLACK. Since the bike is my birth year, I am going to keep it in the family. So I am not worry about resale value. This is something I want to do just so I can say I did it.
Here's some updated pics:

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Unread 03-17-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinjinLe View Post
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Red or black would be a great choice for a CA95 - If you like red, but would like to stay around stock, you could find a nice match for the original Honda Red too.
Unread 03-17-2012, 10:59 PM

It looks like you are being very meticulous and polishing everything up nice; and like you are taking pride in the restoration and enjoying it...keep it up, Sinijn The red is a nice classic color it seems most I have seen choose black, as a restoration color. but I am sure most people have the first CA model in their memory as being red, I know the first 5 CA models I ever saw were red anyways.

For 350.00 I hope that's all your sheet metal done including sand blasting. Make sure they fill all holes for bolts and cover exposed threads, powder coat is some strong stuff and will make any threads difficult after it come out of the oven. Be sure to inspect it well, If they mess up and wrinkle the paint somewhere they are supposed to redo it.
Unread 03-18-2012, 10:43 AM

Are the (black) top of the shock covers on your bike plastic or metal? If plastic, powder is out and you'll need a set of metal tops; if you plan to refinish them with powder to match your frame.

Be advised; powder is very strong, but may chip if excessive pressure is put on it (e.g., overtightening a bolt), plus exposed sharp edges of powder-coated items are susceptible to chipping. Also, from my experience, powder doesn't buff-out if scratched. This could be a prbblem for larger exposed areas.

As I mentioned earlier, from your pictures it appears as if your bike currently has flat-sided mufflers. You must have an early-build '64, because according to what I see, the flat-sided mufflers were replaced by the rounded ones at the end of the '63 model year.
Unread 03-19-2012, 01:14 AM

Frappy old chap, I'm not sure if you can see something that I can't but I don't see any flat sided mufflers or any mufflers at all. I do see that it is a late frame so you would be correct if you see flat mufflers.

Sam.
Unread 03-19-2012, 04:55 AM

Sam, I hope your eyes aren't going bad like my memory ...The flat mufflers are in the very first picture in the post. I noticed they have a longer taper at the rear and don't seem to have the built in divot for rear wheel axle and nut clearance.

Don't worry you don't need good eyes to see other racers; especially when they are always behind you