FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 10-19-2013, 01:02 PM

Default Rust forming on cylinder base

Just noticed this today, rust forming in various spots around the cylinder base.

Is there any way to address this easily? Such as just painting it over? Or is it a pull-it-apart and strip it down sort of fix.
Unread 10-20-2013, 03:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

The iron cylinders will rust over time. It wasn't an issue for me since I planned a total tear-down from the beginning of my project, so I was able to sand-blast and repaint very easily.

How bad is the rust? Can you post a picture? If it's minor (reachable), you should be able to clean the rust with a small wire brush and hand-paint the cylinder with a thin coat of engine paint.

My original cylinder is at the left below.

Unread 10-20-2013, 06:20 PM

I should figure out how to embed images in these posts, but wow, your pics show one heckuva difference! As a side, I ordered a buffing wheel that you can put on a drill, so I'm looking forward to this weekend using it! I have some sandpaper and jeweler's brown cutting compound, I usually just put the cutting compound on the buffing wheel after wet sanding and then go to town on it.

The rust I've noticed on the cylinder base is on the back side, perhaps a hand-sized spread of rust that is more of a bright orange right now. Not the worst, kinda right where the pegs are where the cylinder slides down on. I can give your wire brush and engine paint trick a try.