FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 09-13-2012, 06:28 PM

Default Paint Colors

Anybody painting their Benlys any colors other than stock? I saw one somewhere on another forum that was painted a light blue metal flake to match his harley. He had a custom one person seat on it with a custom small pad seat for a passenger. Can't remember which forum I saw it on. Wish I could. It was one of the sharpest Benlys I have seen. Anyone have any pictures of their rides with non-stock colors they could share?
Unread 09-14-2012, 11:39 AM

Done.

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 11-09-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Unread 09-14-2012, 12:29 PM

Thanks,
I will have to check out the builder threads. I found the one I was looking for.
One picture next to the Harley looks like light blue. The color that I like. The other 2 pics show the bike being dark blue. Not sure if it had something to do with the camera or lighting. An amazing looking bike though. This guy put a tremendous amount of time and money in it and it shows. Really love the seats too!

Here's the link. http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/view...p?f=23&t=13247
Unread 09-14-2012, 02:45 PM

Done.

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 11-09-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Unread 09-14-2012, 06:42 PM

I think you could be right. He goes by "karter" on the other forum.
Unread 09-17-2012, 11:25 AM

grubsie , I answered you over on hondatwins but I'll answer here also . The lighting and my little Nikon may have a lot to do with the color discrepancy.
The paint is from Harley Davidson , Pacific Blue Pearl and the pearl does change somewhat in the bright sunlight . Changed the look of the bike somewhat , Blackwall tires and lower handle bars .
I've got enough left over that I'm going to paint my BMW K 100 with it .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (222.4 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by kartgreen; 09-17-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Unread 09-17-2012, 03:45 PM

Thanks kartgreen. I absolutely love that blue benly. You did an amazing job on it. The creativity of the LePera seats and the custom pipes was the icing on the cake. I am going to be doing my own painting. Been over 30 years since I have done this kind of stuff so I am thinking of going a solid color (Black) instead of metal flake blue like you have and use the LePera black seat styles like yours.

About the paint...what are most people using? Enamel or Urethane? Single Stage or 2 Stage?

As usual, thanks in advance. You people on here have been a tremendous help. Not only in replying to me, but the tips and answers I find all over this thread.
Unread 09-17-2012, 05:08 PM

I'm an old school technique painter (strickly for hobby and occasional Buco bag restoration). I shoot all my own bikes and saddlebags both metal and fiberglass.

I use 2 part acrylic enamel PPG light grey primer with fast enamel reducer. This combination allows you to sand in 30 minutes.

I then overcoat with two part acrylic enamel (PPG) again with fast reducer. I apply 3-4 coats of color with a light sanding in between coats. You can remove runs in the final coat with wet sanding with 600-1200 grit wet/dry paper and buff to a final shine. If you want a clear coat then you can shoot clear, 2 part (same hardner) acrylic enamel. I don't shoot clear coat, but if you have rusty paint skils, clear coat can be very forgiving.

Some NAPA stores can sell you what you need (not PPG but an equal). I order my paint through a body shop supply in Bowling Green, KY

In addition, I paint with a inexpensive HVLP touch up gun from Harbor Freight and a $99.00 Craftsman compressor with a disposable in-line air drier.

Last edited by Spokes; 09-17-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Unread 09-17-2012, 05:35 PM

I was hoping someone like you Spokes would be users of acrylic enamel. I have been poking around some other forums where the guys are talking about only painting their cars with acrylic urethanes and how much better, durable and longer lasting it is than enamel. I always used to use enamels and always had good luck. Besides, these painting forums say that spraying urethanes can be very toxic and you really need to to wear a high end mask with a good ventilation system.

Although I haven't sprayed too much with paint for years, I have been spraying laquer on wood cabinetry on a regular basis for years, so I know my technique is still good. Enamel should work fine for me. Should be painting within the next couple of weeks. I'll have to keep the forum updated when I do.

Last edited by grubsie; 09-17-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Unread 09-19-2012, 11:39 AM

Urethanes really are easy once you have the proper protective gear .
Tyvek suits can be purchased at the big box stores as well as paint suppliers and a good respirator with organic cartridges ( change after every use ) as well as goggles and gloves will do the trick . Also ventilate your paint booth ? area .
It's a brave new world out there .