Thread: Throttle Issues
View Single Post
Unread 06-04-2012, 04:48 PM

In addition to all the great suggestions, and if the problem persists,

Before doing anything.....there is a little tension adjustment screw with a lock nut at the base of the throttle body. remove the screw and lube with WD40 and replace.

If that does not work:

The throttle tube usually gets rusty with age. Clean the tube out with a 12GA Shotgun brass brush and some Hoppes gun bore cleaner or the like.

The throttle slide most likely has some mushroom along the top of the slide. Try to remove what seems to be the excess mushroomed metal. Clean the slide as smooth as possible. I wheel buff mine to a chrome like finish.

Clean the throttle housing tension spring at the base. You will see a small brass spring that gets goobered up with age.

Clean any rust from the handlebar.

Put a rag at the carb slide end (or remove the slide) and protect any paint and flush the throttle cable with brake cleaner or the like.

Lightly oil all parts and cable with 3-in-1 oil or my favorite Hoppes Gun Oil.

Reassemble throttle on the bar, but don't snug it yet. Assemble and replace the carb slide back into the carb. Lube lightly..WD40 works for me.

Then position the throttle on the handlebar so the throttle returns freely. Tighten the throttle housing screws.