View Single Post
Unread 09-08-2011, 08:12 PM

Yes, I have replaced the 6V bulb in the sealed beam CA95 headlight. But it is tricky.

I start with Two burned out lights. The light body that looks the best I break out the lens, The light bodies are very thin plated steel. Breaking out the lens keeps the crimp around the light untouched and you can recover the gasket.

The 2nd light I remove the lens without worrying about distorting the metal. Basically I waste the light body to gain a clean lens.

The bulb is soldered in. So very carefully, lightly heat the BULB BASE until the lead melts and the bulb can be removed.

I have used 6V vintage automotive bulbs for the early VW's which are still available.

I resolder the bulb base (or you can epoxy it in place) then carefully open up the crimp on the light body, place back the lens gasket, add some clear sealant and press the lens back into place. Press the crimp back with a wooden dowel.

Harvest the wires from the wasted 2nd light and solder to the new bulb contacts.

If you want to be creative, you can put any voltage bulb in the headlamp you wish and use epoxy like JB Weld to secure it.

CAUTION! WEAR GLOVES AND SAFETY GLASSES! YOUR WORKING WITH BROKEN GLASS AND THIN SHARP STEEL!

Or just buy a new Asian unit................