View Single Post
Unread 08-29-2011, 12:03 PM

Default Tail light stopped working!

Following some of the posts in here, I decided to pursue replacing my standard tail lamp with an LED. Got the lamps in (one red and one white just to see) and opened the lens to take a look around. In the course of freeing the old lamp the thing stopped working. Thought it might have been the lamp itself but both of them work when tested. I disassembled the whole lamp fixture and have found no issues with the wiring there. In my desperation (and since I'm an utter newb) I cut the wires to test the lamp socket, which works. Spliced the wires back with weatherproof butt connectors and reassembled the tail light with the original, intact lamp.

So, where do I go from here? I have no idea where to continue, aside from testing the wires nearer to the battery, where they exit the frame and re-enter the channels in the rear fender. Is the next level tearing down the front of the bike to get to the harness? Am I missing an inline fuse somewhere? The headlight works, bike runs, battery's fresh. This lamp did work until I touched in on Saturday. I'm totally stumped.