View Single Post
Unread 07-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Now for cleaning up the needle. If this part isn't cleaned thoroughly it will promote further corrosion buildup and ruin your day. Take a minute to do it right. I would stay away from sand paper altogether. This part is much to sensitive to surface imperfections. If you accidentally make a oval of this circular profile fuel will be leaking through it and you can only guess what problems will come of that.

Here I have my Dremel with a polishing bit. The buffer alone won't do squat. Find some sort of light abrasive polish to dab on it. You just need a little. I used my FLITZ polish which is water soluble. Not that it matters... You can buy aluminum wheel polish that will probably give the same results. You can see all the crap that was removed with just a couple seconds of cleaning with the dremel. Best of all the soft bit is safe to use on this part and it only took a second. That sucker shines clean now. B) Here we are nice and clean, ready to install.

Get ready... it's the fuel topic! - I'm glad that this forum is locked so what I say goes! =]

I was contemplating using some fuel additive for classic vehicles but I just don't think it's all that necessary. MAYBE it would be helpful for the valve seats in order to prolong the lifespan of them but the engine isn't high compression and even though you can rev the RPMs up you probably won't be comfortable doing so. If one was to rev the crap out of these engines and take it up to 50mph then I would suggest a ZDDP additive. To keep things short the ZDDP restores the fuel to the 1980 and earlier condition. The stuff is NECESSARY to preserve cam lifters and cams in all engines from the old days. Once it was discovered that the ZDDP was harmful for catalytic converters they removed it from the fuel and beefed up the quality of engine components so they could operate without ZDDP.

It's not a bad idea to run ZDDP in these engines and I will be in the bikes that I'll be riding around on the street. Here is a HUGE amount of info on the additive, knock yourself out: http://www.zddplus.com/