View Single Post
Unread 07-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Lets clean the needle and seat. If these are worn out or not cleaned correctly you will find your bike coming to a halt while cruising out on the road. This is the main cause for your bike stalling out mysteriously in the middle of a ride. The float WILL NOT retain the needle and pull it back out of the seat when it might become stuck in the seat. If the needle doesn't pull back out then the fuel flow into the bowl will stop. I had this happen on my CA160 and I'll be working on that carb this week as well.

Here is a picture of the first thing I did when I got the seat out. I used a tiny dremel brush to remove the obvious debris and carbon/dust out. This does ok but there is more work to do. I'm quite proud of my throttle slide on the right. When these wear down you are in trouble. I can't wait to get the first one back from the plating company to see how it works compared to this one. Having 2 carbs will be nice peace of mind.

I decided to get a little crazy and really make sure that the seat was cleaned out as good as possible. I basically resurfaced the seat at the bottom and now it's nice and shiny. Just be careful not to scratch it or remove too much stock from the piece. As long as you get a quick shine on it things should be fine.

Much better