View Single Post
Unread 05-03-2010, 01:53 AM

We got the bike running at the weekend. Timing and carb was a bit out but a bigger problem cropped up.
After about 15 to 20 minutes of putting the gas in, it started pi$$ing out from a leak under the tank.
I had heard of people running modern fuels in glass tanks having problems with leaks caused by the Ethanol in some gas products.
I was using Shell Vpower 99, as we have allways used this in the CR and RS race bikes.
I checked on the Shell website to see if Vpower contained Ethanol. It said that Vpower with added Ethanol was only available in Australia as Vpower racing and even this had been discontinued.
I doubt if I can resolve the problem in time for the first race next weekend.
It could have been a leak that has occured with age as the tank has not had any use since Bens dad rode the bike about 11 years ago.
I do have a small aluminum tank that fits inside the frame but it will be quite a lot of work to fit it and would mean making the seat quickly deatchable to be able to re-fuel it.
I dont want to turn the bike out at a very big event (about 130,000 spectators) and have it not 100%.

Sam.