View Single Post
Unread 10-21-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larzfromarz View Post
I have a question for you TwinX- You say you "bag" your bikes, and if I'm correct I understand you are basically enclosing the entire bike in a protective plastic cocoon. It's a great idea for preservation and I really like the concept. If this IS the case, I'd rather see you pull the battery for the time period. If the battery is out gassing acid vapor I'd be afraid of creating more damage, possibly spread across the entire contained bike, by the vapor. This is just conjecture on my part since we don't do such things in the south. Which Tender are you using and what does the manufacturer have to say regarding the electrolyte loss? Curious minds want to know.
The problem with pulling batteries is I have a stable of collector cars and bikes which makes it time prohibitive. That said, in the past 20+ years I've never had an acid off-gas related problem, i.e. corrosion. I have had a 3 year old battery in an Excelsior Henderson over charge and dump acid because of a faulty Tender, which is why I'm advocating a timer as well. The only other problems I've had was related to the Tender not charging the battery at all and still showing a charged state. I've replaced most of my chargers with the Yuasa Smart Shot because it has capability of up to 16 volts for recovery of sulfated batteries; the junior chargers don't. Additionally, they are 6 and 12 volt chargers which helps me out since I have a need for both.

Regarding a storage bag with 10 lbs. of desiccant, IMHO there is no better way to protect a vehicle from moisture. During the spring and fall up here in the North, the rapid temperature changes in the morning allow moisture to condense on the cold metal surfaces causing oxidation. The desiccant absorbs almost all that moisture and slows the aging/oxidation process considerably. As an extra benefit, there is no rust forming on the cylinder walls either. I'm happy to say my vehicles look as good now as the day they were restored many years ago.

Last edited by twinx1649; 10-21-2013 at 05:16 PM.