View Single Post
Unread 10-19-2012, 11:12 PM

Default Key Switch Question

I want all of you to know, that I appreciate your help very much. I try not to take advantage of your kindness and the time you take out of your busy days answering all my how to questions. I always try to spend a few days or more trying to solve a problem on my own before I bring it to the forum. With that said, here comes my next question.
A few days ago, kartgreen sent me a fully functioning headlight. After carefully following the factory wire diagram, in key position 2 I am able to get power to the headlight and engine cranking, but no start (no power to the points.) In key position 3 the engine cranks, fires, and runs perfectly, but I get no power to the headlight. I am thinking the problem is in the keyswitch, and if I am correct, is there a test procedure for testing the terminals on the back of the switch for full functionality in all of the key positions? At least to me, the wiring diagram in the repair manual doesn't really depict a good physical/visual resemblance to the positions of the terminals on the back of the switch.
Thank You
Steve