PDA

View Full Version : Shopping list

phoenix216
03-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Other than insane amounts of dirt under the covers, my engine is looking pretty hopeful so I want to start collecting the parts I'm missing. I know where to get almost everything I need but I want to check with you guys first since my budget is tiny and the tires are going to eat most of it.

I need:
headlight w/rim
tail light -have the plate bracket
seat - I can re-cover
air cleaner
ignition coil - the plug wires were cut off of mine
side covers
tool tray
starter switch
keyed handlebar lock
tank emblems
mirrors
drive chain
all cables

Shoot me a price if you have something you want to part with.

Spokes
03-17-2010, 08:01 PM
The ignition coil wires can be replaced. Use 7mm snowmobile spark plug wires and then get new caps off of ebay. The old wires come out. Just break away the old "glue" arount the inserted wire. Reinsert new wire with some sealant. I did it and it works perfect.

phoenix216
03-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Thanks! I was wondering if it was worth the trouble to fix it or if they could be found for cheap.

Spokes
03-18-2010, 07:10 AM
Every coil I have found on ebay has old and stiff wires. That's why I replace them. Always look for "wax drips". Any external wax means the coil has been overheated and may be trashed.

On these CA95's if you leave the ignition on without the engine running you can overheat the coil. I know for a fact...I ruined one that way.

Sam Green
03-18-2010, 07:52 AM
I think it depends if your points are open or closed but don't try it just to prove me wrong.:D:D:D:D:D

Sam.;)

Spokes
03-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Nope, No need to prove or dis-prove. I just gotta to remove the key when I'm done with the bike...I have BDS (Big Dummy Syndrome).

phoenix216
03-21-2010, 07:41 PM
I need to add a carburetor to my list. GRRRRR!

Spokes
03-21-2010, 07:51 PM
I thought I saw one on the engine. They can be rebuilt.

phoenix216
03-21-2010, 08:37 PM
The throttle slide is varnished in - I know how to fix that. The needle isn't there... probably broken off. That cone thingy with the screen on it (someone please tell me what it's called so I can stop calling it a thingy) is missing.

Spokes
03-22-2010, 06:19 AM
Your carb is not that far gone. The "thingy with the screen" is actually not listed as a seperate part, I would call it the air filter adapter flange...and it is not nessary. I retro fitted mine with a modern screen type cone filter. A new needle comes with a rebuild kit from Retro Bikes (retrobikes.com)

If your stumped with the part, pm me I will clean it up and send it back ready to rebuild, just for shipping charges...it's just a hobby for me.

phoenix216
03-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the offer. I'm gonna attempt it myself. This is the oldest bike I've ever worked on so I'm learning as I go. I appreciate the guidance.

phoenix216
03-30-2010, 06:05 PM
I love seeing all the creative ways people can mess things up! The slide was not stuck because of varnish. It was stuck because someone tried to pry it out with a screwdriver. The bottom lip was gouged. I smoothed it out and it slides freely but it's only a temporary fix since the plating is gone on that edge. Sigh...

Does anyone have an insulator they'd like to sell me? I didn't even realize there should be one until I tried to put the carb back on tonight.

Thanks to Aaron and some nice people in Ohio, my shopping list has gotten a lot shorter.
All I need now (as of tonight and I'm sure it'll change) are a seat (or seat pan), tool tray, tool tray cover, tank emblems, and carburetor insulator.

Spokes
03-30-2010, 07:31 PM
I have an insulator that I repaired. If I did not tell you, you would not of known. You can have it. pm me with an address and I will send it to you.
Did you need a gasket? I have a few extra's of those as well.