PDA

View Full Version : Ebay warning.

Sam Green
01-19-2010, 07:04 AM
I was just looking at the very first post in this forum at the bottom of page 7 by mister Smithers, CA95 Engine pistons and rings.
In his first post, he shows a general exploded veiw of the motor.
You will note that this model is the C95 and not the CA95 and has a big end crank pin that is in one peice and fits right through all the cranks flywheels.
Repair kits for this model are quite often advertised as fitting both models on ebay so make sure you don't buy one for your CA95 or you'll be restricted too half a RPM. CLUNK :D

Sam.;)

Smithers
01-19-2010, 07:21 AM
You mean this picture right here right? Yea I forget where I got that one. I should probably swap it out for the right one. :)

Anyone care to explain what a C95 is? Not much info out there on that one.

http://www.fourwheelperformance.com/honda/fwf_c02.jpg

Sam Green
01-19-2010, 07:34 AM
I'm made up with this little forum, it's great.
I wasn't picking fault with your post, these repair kits have been bothering me for some time, didn't want any owners to buy one and waste the hard earned $. I'm looking forward to posting here on a regular basis, helping one another is what it's all about.
Whats your name by the way Mr Smithers ?

Sam.;)

Smithers
01-19-2010, 07:40 AM
The name is Ryan. I'm always glad to have more contributors. It's great to see model specific info in one place so I'm definitely happy to be helping people find the info they want on these bikes instead of going to a giant website where classic Honda talk is shoved off into the corner. Fun stuff.

Sam Green
01-19-2010, 08:16 AM
Ryan, the sad thing about these great little bikes is the price they fetch after a painstaking restoration.
Mine are all race bikes and I would never get the money back that I've spent on them in a million years. Sad truth. :mad:

Sam.;)

Spokes
01-19-2010, 08:52 AM
I always breakdown the bike before ordering anything. These blow up diagrams are tricky indeed.
Asian sources of parts are another risk. I bought one of those "carbs" that fit the CA95. It did not fit, but being that I am a fab guy, I made it work until a usable rebuidable carb could be found. The sad part is the carb was actually too small, so the bike had no low end pep.

Asian gaskets and seals can be another pitfall. I buy the cheap set of gaskets, make sure they fit then, take them to a local gasket company and have them made out of quality gasket material at a thickness to my liking.

Seals are another risk from Asia. You can still buy "Honda" name seals for your CA95 from your dealer. I do. They are more expensive, but if the Honda name is on the part, the manufacturer of the seal has to make it to Honda specs. I also take the original seal with me before I accept the part.

If you want to see me unhappy, just let my newly rebuild engine leak oil. It puts me in a pissy mood all day.

Anything I sell on ebay I personally checkout. If it does not meet my standards I don't list it. I have rec'd many things from ebay that ended up in the trash less small parts can be salvaged.

Sam Green
01-19-2010, 09:13 AM
I've just ordered a set of long cables from the States, should be good I hope.
On the other hand I've had to take a chance on a handle bar from Asia, can a bar be bad:( ?

Sam.;)

Spokes
01-19-2010, 09:37 AM
As for handlbars from asia. 1st determine what throttle type you have. If internal, make sure that the bar has the slot cut in the bar. External throttle's any 7/8" (or metric match) bar will work. I found rusty original bars for my CA95 and had them rechromed for $75.00. I guess in the long run it's 6 of one or 1/2 dozen of the other...

The long cables you bought ( I think off of ebay?) I bought them as well.

I had to shorten them at least 12" each as they were way too long. I had to match the old ones to cut and get new cable ends. It was a pain to save a buck. I am building another CA95 from scratch, just as a fun project. I will buy the correct size cables and spend the extra buck.

Sam Green
01-20-2010, 07:33 AM
The bars arrived yesterday from Bankok, just 8 days after payment.
They look OK but are not as wide as I thought they would be.
I'm wondering if they are as wide as the wide bars you have on the CA95 US models.
Can anyone measure them at their widest points for me please, thanks.

Sam.;)

Smithers
01-20-2010, 10:05 AM
SELL one of these works of art? Art you nuts? You don't SELL them you collect them! ;) The only Honda I've ever let go is one that someone bought BACK from me... that jerk begged me for it back and then sold it so an overseas buyer for a bunch of money. Talk about pissed! That was it between me and him! BTW it was a prestine and totally original 1965 Honda S90 in black! I was 16 when I sold it. I used to ride that thing to high school. What an awesome bike... definitely fast for a 90. I remember doing top speed runs while hugging the tank. I could get it up to 65mph. With some gearing 75 wouldn't be a problem. I wish I had one to ride around right now.

http://www.fourwheelperformance.com/honda/honda_s90_1966_black.jpg

Ryan, the sad thing about these great little bikes is the price they fetch after a painstaking restoration.
Mine are all race bikes and I would never get the money back that I've spent on them in a million years. Sad truth. :mad:

Sam.;)

Smithers
01-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Sam - You could find a similiar diameter handle bar and take it to someone to have it widened. If you really care about having a proper length bar then this is just what you'll have to do to get what you want. Any nice fabricator would do it for like $40. As long as you don't cut and weld near the clamping area you won't ever have a problem. Can you post a picture of them or the link to the Ebay auction you purchased it from? I have some handlebars on my blue one that I have no clue where they came from. I wish I could find out where they came from.

hahnda
01-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Well I always was under the impression that the CA95 and the C95 were the same except the "A" was a designation that it was for the American market. There was a C77 and a CA77. Same bikes save for a few differences in trim.

Is there a difference in certain parts for the CA95 vs. the C95?

That said I have +.50 and +1.00 over sets. $45 shipped for a pair.

Smithers
01-20-2010, 08:43 PM
I'll accept that explanation. Problem solved! That's great to hear you got a couple sets for sale. That's a hell of a price too.

Sam Green
01-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Good morning Ryan and Kevin, the cycle parts are the same on the two models (C95/CA95) save for the CA having wider bars and longer control cables. The C model also has turn signals fitted.
The CA95 motor is a whole different ball game in that it has (as stated at the start of this thread), a different crank and crank cases.
Up top is a different head cam and carb. The pistons are higher commpression and finally it has a different gearbox.
The early CAs also had a tacho drive fitted to the right hand side of the head, opperated from the end of the camshaft.
All C92/CA92/CS92/CB92/C95/CA95/CB95/CA160 motors are interchangable in any chassis. Other motors that fit in are SS125/CB160/CD175 but require the the head mounts from the 92/95/160 series motors.

Sam.;)

Smithers
01-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Morning Mr. Green. So which engine is better? Sounds like the C95's higher compression would be connected to the better crankshaft no? Very interesting.

Sam Green
01-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Morning Mr. Green. So which engine is better? Sounds like the C95's higher compression would be connected to the better crankshaft no? Very interesting.

Hi Ryan, It's your CA95 motor that has the higher comp pistons, I've edited my last post.

Sam.;)

P.S. can anyone measure the width of the CA handle bars for me, I need your help:)

mk2davis
02-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Sam, did anyone measure their bars for you? I assume you mean the left side to the right, and not diameter of the bar. Let me know, I'd be happy to do it for you.

Sam Green
03-01-2010, 03:41 AM
No, if you could do it for me I would appreciate it. Just bar end straight across to the other bar end.

Sam.;)

mk2davis
03-01-2010, 08:30 AM
I'm at school right now, I'll do it when I get home in 4 hours.

Sam Green
03-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Thank you young sir, make an old man happy.:D:D:D:D:D

Sam.;)

mk2davis
03-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Mine measured 28" across, give or take because the grips are still on.

Sam Green
03-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks very much, that was what I needed and is the same as the wide bars that came from Bankok.

Sam.;)

Smithers
03-02-2010, 07:43 AM
I'll go take a picture of my bars and post them up with the dimensions. I'll be visiting my bike over at my sisters house in a couple of hours.

Sam Green
03-03-2010, 01:51 AM
That's OK now Ryan, thanks to Mr Davis, I've found that the bars that I have are indeed the wide American ones, on the UK version they were not as wide.

Sam.;)

Smithers
03-03-2010, 06:39 AM
Wonderful. US version has wider bars? I can't believe how much information is popping up on this forum about these bikes! Keep it comin! Too bad we can't all get together for a rally. I don't know if mine runs well enough for that though, hehe. Well at least we could park them in a row out in front of a coffee shop somewhere and look at them. :-)

mk2davis
03-03-2010, 09:27 AM
photoshop?

Actually, Mr. Smithers, I just might let you know then next time I head up your way, throw the bike in the truck, and take her up there. SLO gotta be a pretty cool town to cruise around in.

Sam Green
03-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Well at least we could park them in a row out in front of a coffee shop somewhere and look at them. :-)

Allthough I will be in the States tomorrow, I won't be able to make your little gathering in front of ye old coffee shope, I surpose I could send a cardboard cut out of my bike for display purposes only.:D:D:D:D

Sam.;)

P.S. I'm itching to see Mr Davis land speed stroker;) you show me yours, I'll show you mine:D

mk2davis
03-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Again, this maybe off topic, but being I run P-P, it looks normal. I'm sure I can dig up some pics.

Back on topic, as a sticky we should probably have a list of our ebay ventures. What we got from who, and how the experience was.

Sam Green
03-04-2010, 09:36 AM
See ya'll in a weeks time, off to Valdosta.:D:D:D

Sam.;)

Sam Green
03-10-2010, 07:50 AM
Again, this maybe off topic, but being I run P-P, it looks normal. I'm sure I can dig up some pics.

Back on topic, as a sticky we should probably have a list of our ebay ventures. What we got from who, and how the experience was.

When are we going we going to see you bike young Mr Davis mk2 ?

You can see mine in this thread about quarter the way down,
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=46104.125#lastPost

the more modern is in this thread.
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=31154.475

Sam;)

aaron7
03-10-2010, 08:12 AM
Grr, bought new handlebars from ebay only to get them and find they are standard twist throttle only. Looks like I'll be shining up my original ones!

Sam Green
03-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Did it not show a picture of them ?

Sam.;)

aaron7
03-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Yeah, but I didn't pay attention to them. I saw the long cutout for the piece to ride in but didn't notice there was no notch for the cable holder.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-C92-C95-CA160-CA92-CA95-PIPE-HANDLE-BAR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2305421d60QQitemZ15 0412074336QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories