PDA

View Full Version : Kick starter slipping?

aaron7
12-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Seems like 1 out of every 5 kicks my kick start doesn't engage.

It makes no sound when it doesn't engage. No chattering or any loose sounds.

It is not moving on the shaft at all.

Ideas?

Smithers
12-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Yeah that's an easy one. Check out this thread which shows the adjustment mechanism that will help you out I think: http://www.fourwheelforum.com/showthread.php?t=103

There is a big slotted adjuster on the other side of the engine that you can turn to take some slack out of the clutch. I recommend going to the handlebars and adjusting the cable so that it loosens up (screwing the cable adjuster inwards). Then go and adjust this large slotted round cylinder thing which will easily take up the slack in the clutch engagement system. I can't remember which way to turn it but it will be obvious. When you adjust it you will notice that when you turn it one way the kick starter won't even engage. This is because with that adjustment it will be like you are holding in the clutch and trying to kick start it... the kickstarter will just go up and down without any resistance.

So now you know what that funny slotted adjustment thing does now! :) I'm pretty sure this will take care of your problem. I'll be back Monday. Let me know if this helps.

aaron7
12-21-2009, 05:52 AM
ahhhhh that's what that is!

We'll try that, thanks!

Smithers
12-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Yeah when one of my little Honda kickstarters had no resistance and was just pushing up and down without doing anything I was freaking out. Hehe I never experienced that before and I just was stumped for a few minutes! It's good to know exactly what the problem was. Now I know that a slipping clutch is usually just a clutch that is out of adjustment on these Hondas... the clutches RARELY get worn out.