PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank cleaning?

Hohlederschatten
09-14-2009, 01:30 PM
I think this week i want to try getting the carb and the tank cleaned up.
problem is i have never bought a bike this bad.

The tank is corroded with deposits (no rust) how would i go about cleaning this?

I have read that you should use BBs and kerosene in the tank and slosh it around...does this sound right???

Smithers
09-14-2009, 03:10 PM
I would rinse it fuel or kerosene if you have anything like that on hand. Then slosh around some concentrated soap and water... then take it to a radiator shop or somewhere like that to have them boil it in their cleaning tank. Just one tiny piece of crud will stop your fuel supply and the petcock is a fine instrument you don't want to by contaminated either. I would also install an inline fuel filter as well.

Whatever it takes to get it clean. There are companies that sell an epoxy type mixture that is supposed to coat and seal restored tanks as well. But that just costs more money. I've never seen it being used or heard of any success stories. I'm sure the carb needs to be stripped down and cleaned with some small brushes, scrapers and pics. It all depends on if you just want it up and running or restored for the bike show circuit. :D

Hohlederschatten
10-13-2009, 08:00 AM
Okay, the tank has now been soaking for awhile in diesel. it is no cleaner and i know for sure now that the petcock needs rebuilt :mad:

I have been calling around radiator shops to get an estimate on mow much it would cost to have one "boiled out" but they say that either they can't do it or it won't get it clean :mad:

I wonder if NAPA would say any different or are there any other ways that i don't know about???