PDA

View Full Version : New to forums

Hohlederschatten
09-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Hello,
i just picked up a Ca95 for a winter project.
the bike is in rough shape and will take me awhile but i can't wait to get her running.

Just wanted to say hi since i know i will have alot of questions.

Some pictures ---

Jeff

Smithers
09-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Good seeing you pop up here. I'm sure you'll get some good input along your way during your Honda restoration. How far are you going to go into the restoration? Try to keep it original or just get'er up and running and looking good? Take care of those handlebars and all the controls! Those things are kinda fragile and very hard to find original pieces. I think I see a key there so that's good. Does it show how many miles on are on it? I hope they left the spark plugs in the heads so that there are no contaminants inside the cylinders. Take care of that carb too. Those things are like gold.. hard to find!

Buy a set of brand new impact driver bits so you take care of the head patterns when you pop those screws loose. They almost all will need to be popped with an impact driver and I would recommend it even on the ones that won't appear to need it. It will preserver them while you are taking it apart so that when you go to put the screws back in they will look nice and new - not beat up and stripped. It will make life easier for you and it's super easy.

Also where are you from or what area? If you fill out your profile a bit it might help let others get in touch with you if they have info that might help you.

Keep us updated!

Hohlederschatten
09-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the advice Smithers.
I am going to do a complete tear down and rebuild on it.

Unfortunately, The handlebars are bent slightly and the lettering on the switches are gone so i have no idea what they are for. there is a key and the spark plugs are there. the carb is rough, the fuel line is cut and it looks like there is dirt in the inlet nipple, but other than that it is solid with no cracks.

It also needs a new seat, the kickstart and shifter are missing and so is the cover over the points. and the exhaust is rusted in half.

The odo reads 18,482 miles which reminds me that i also need a new speedometer and they are not cheap.

I live is Rochester, Ny but the bike is in Niagara Falls, Ny at my brothers.
one of my hobbies is restoring small engines. over the summer i restored a 1977 Puch Maxi moped so i have some knowledge.

Do you think $100 was a fair price?

Hohlederschatten
09-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Quick question -

I found a speedometer on ebay but it goes up to 140 KM/H.
would it still work on the bike or do i need one in english units?

Sorry for the stupid question, i just don't want to waste the money if it won't work.

Smithers
09-11-2009, 06:08 AM
Good Friday,

You can use either one I would think. They both should use the same cable adapter on the back side of them. Be careful! They sell these out of Thailand for like $30 all the time if I remember correctly. You'll never see one that's original Honda made back in the 60's that is original and new. There is a chance but it's not likely at all. All the speedos you're going to see that are new looking are reproduction. Thailand has all the parts for these bikes that you will need very cheap and in most every case they will be of pretty good quality.

Since your in the US just hold out for one that's in MPH unless you really want the alternative for some reason. Just keep your eyes open on Ebay and you should be able to get all the parts you need without having to pay too much.

Smithers
09-11-2009, 06:27 AM
Oh and the price of $100. Good price. Those parts are worth solid gold... at least you will respect them after you see how much they would nickel and dime you to death if you bought them through Ebay and the like. I bought a much worse bike out of a field for $100 I think... my parts bike. And I could not have completed my blue ca95 without it. I had to use the rear axle and all the hardware from that... and about half of the engine to make my good bike complete.

Take care of the parts as you take things apart. Like the little knobs on the sidecovers that save Honda on them. You will never see new ones again with the lettering on them! Heh, it sounds dumb but when you see the ones that are reproduction that are smooth and not as thick you will be annoyed that someone doesn't make them with the Honda lettering on them! I can't believe that I can't find some nice new knobs anywhere... and if anyone knows of some for sale let me know. :)

You will probably want to use those handlebars even if they have to be re-chromed. Original bend ones are too hard to find and to have some reproduction ones shipped to you will probably be close to $100 and they won't even work without modifications. Trust me... you'll want to take good care of those handlebars! You'll find out why when you take the controls apart.

And when you find a seller on Ebay that looks like he has a parts store in which he sells more items: click on his Ebay store and then in the search field on the left type in "CA95" or something to search his inventory for more parts for your bike. You will find that some guys have a lot of nice parts for cheap. I was fixing up a CL70 and found a seller that had all sorts of parts that they were just blowing out to get rid of them. I scored a huge pile of new parts for not much money. I feel lucky to have found those for sure.

If you need any clarification on anything just take a decent picture and post it here so we can give you the info you need. A digital camera is a mechanics best friend now. It's the best tool you have. Just take pictures of things before you take them apart. Take pictures of the screws laying next to the covers as you take them off. Stuff like that will save you a huge amount of time when you go to reassemble. And put different small parts with the bolts and screws they need in Zip-Lock bags as you remove them. You can write on those bags with a marker and you will save yourself so much headache it's unbelievable. That is unless you have a huge garage or shop and can just spread everything out at once :D.

Smithers
09-24-2009, 06:18 AM
There are a couple of CA95 speedo units on ebay right now. One is good and one is not as good.

Not quite top condition CA95 speedo (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Dream-150-CA95-Benly-Touring-Speedometer_W0QQitemZ260480172202QQcmdZViewItemQQp tZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3ca5d400a a&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14)

Pretty nice speedometer for Honda CA95 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-ca95-dream-speedometer-benly-touring-150-160_W0QQitemZ290352031032QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorc ycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item439a546538&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14)

aaron7
09-24-2009, 02:20 PM
Looks like I'll have more competition on ebay! haha

Smithers
09-24-2009, 04:25 PM
I'm not bidding on those things. Just pointed them out for ya. It shouldn't tip off any competition in the bidding. :)