PDA

View Full Version : Petcock Swap

SixtyFiveCA95
08-09-2009, 03:06 PM
I've found a few things online about people making an adapter plate for the bottom of the tank so they can use a newer, "universal" style petcock instead of the stock one.

Has anybody done this? Or would I be better off just getting the rebuild kit? The reason I ask is that I find the stock one to be confusing and downright infuriating. Seriously, what's up with that design? Cork discs? :rolleyes:

rhodemon
08-16-2009, 05:45 PM
I've had good luck rebuilding the orignal style petcocks. If the bike sits for a long time with no gas in the tank, the cork dries out and shrinks and causes leaks. I use STP to help the cork swell back up and to lubricate the system. I've also used STP on petcocks with rubber guts with good results. These bikes orignal only once, and I like to keep them that way.

SixtyFiveCA95
08-17-2009, 01:04 PM
I'll have to try that. Just so happens I have some STP sitting around. If that doesn't work, I'll probably spring for the rebuild kit on ebay.

I just was wondering because I hate the idea of rebuilding it, putting it back on, and having it leak just as badly as it did, or worse.

SixtyFiveCA95
08-17-2009, 02:20 PM
I wish that the person who cut the fenders felt the same way as you do about keeping the bike as original as possible. From what I've read, at some time that was the "thing to do". It doesn't look bad, it's still a Benly after all, but it's still kind of a shame. Oh well. Once I get a new battery, fix the petcock, and replace the front tire, I'll have a nice "rider".

Smithers
08-26-2009, 08:23 AM
Yeah that petcock is nuts. It seems like the part with the worst design on the whole motorcycle. They work great when they are new I'm sure. The mechanism does last a long long time without rebuilding so they do the job. The more you use them the better they work. This goes for everything.

SixtyFiveCA95
08-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Yeah, I'm seriously considering fabricating an adapter so I can put a normal one on there instead. Find a small piece of metal, drill some screw holes for it, an opening in the center and mount a universal style petcock there.

I know people do it on the 305 Dreams, I saw a picture of one done nicely. I wish I would've bookmarked that site.