PDA

View Full Version : Extractor Tool?

62benly
07-21-2009, 07:33 PM
My name is willie. I bought my first motorcycle just last summer and it just so happens that I became a very proud owner of a great 62 ca95.

The engine needs new gaskets and rings.

I bought a book that gives very good step by steps on engine dissasembly and assembly. It is telling me I need to extract the A.C. rotor using an extractor.

The trouble is, im not too sure what an extractor is. And if it needs a special size?

Smithers
07-22-2009, 08:25 AM
Hi Willie good to see you around here. Let's get this sorted out for you so you can get started on your rebuild.

Is this what you are referring to? I'm pretty sure it is. The round rotor is an Alternating Current rotor (magneto). It requires a puller that is fairly small. I can't remember if I used a puller that had three legs on it or 2. I would recommend trying a 3 leg puller. The magneto can be a real pain to get off. Make sure and have a hammer on hand. Not sure how much experience you have with breaking pulleys off but once you turn down the screw in the middle that presses on the main bolt you will want to give it a couple good hits with a hammer to try and pop it off. I had to tighten the puller really hard and really hit the thing to get it to break free. They get these on TIGHT from the factory.

http://www.fourwheelperformance.com/honda/ca95_magneto.jpg

FYI then the A.C. current is converted to DC at the Rectifier (also known as the R/R - regulator rectifier). The rectifier is the thing further back inside the frame that has all the fins on it cause it can get hot. The rectifier CAN burn up if you try to start and run the motorcycle without a battery - or an extremely dead battery. It will just try to convert too much energy to try and keep up with the current draw... so use a good new battery when you are ready to run the bike or it won't start or run.

Smithers
07-22-2009, 08:36 AM
Here is another picture showing the main bolt and you can see the indent on the head which is there to keep your puller tool from slipping off while you tighten it up.

http://www.fourwheelperformance.com/honda/ca95_assemble04.jpg

Here are some good (and cheap!) options for pullers that will do the trick. Harbor Freight will send them right to your door if you don't have one of those stores in your area. Each set of pullers is around $15 which is insanely cheap. Before mass production and discount retail stores these things were big bucks when I was growing up. =o

Three leg puller: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=8832

Two leg puller: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40966

62benly
07-23-2009, 07:07 PM
Smithers... Your a bad ass. My three legged friend is on its way home. I'll keep you updated if ya don't mind.

Im rearing to go, though im gonna be patient as hell so I dont mess anything up.

Thank you, I was in the dark ya know.

62benly
08-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Ok, So my extractor came about a week ago but I was pretty busy in summer school and now its over . (2 weeks till fall)

My extractor tool has three legs with hooks on either side that can be reversed. I understand how the thing works (screwing the bolt in pulls the magneto out) and all but what I dont understand is how the extractor tool "hooks" the magneto. There doesnt seem to be anywhere to attach the extractor legs to the magneto.

If anyone can help me out that would be great. Thanks.

Smithers
08-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Any chance the little legs will get any kind of bite in the sides of the magneto? You might have to take a picture so I can see. I can't remember if I was able to get the grabber hooks around the back of the thing or if I did it by grabbing onto the sides of it. hmmmm.

RobG
08-10-2009, 04:13 AM
If memory serves, the magneto has 3 circular plates with the stacked magnetic plates sandwhiched in between. I think I got mine off by hooking onto a combination of these plates. That said, I bought a small gear puller which ended up not working because as it tightened, the arms hit the top of the magneto and forced the hooks out and off of the part I had grabbed. I ended up using a puller that was substantially larger than I expected to take a bite.

I will also add the small note that, while hammering is probably required, be careful. It is never good to smack around a magnet.

RobG
08-10-2009, 04:15 AM
In Smithers first picture you can see the plates I am talking about. You have to take the coil off first. This might be a little awkward, but once you take the retaining bolts off, you should be able to just work it off by hand, or with a little help from a hammer. Once you get a crack between it and the case you can get a screwdriver behind it. The tricky part is that the magnet will grab the coil as you wiggle it.

62benly
08-12-2009, 08:38 AM
Here are some pics I took

The first one is of my extractor tool. It has some very "broad" hooks and they seem impossible to hook anything.
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18&d=1250094873
The next Picture is of my magnetos edge. I think I can see those layers rob was talking about in this picture. I suppose I will just unbolt everything holding the magneto in place and then try and work a flat head screw driver in there to make room for my hooks. I cant imagine how a hammer would do anything to help me in the beginning seeing how there is nothing to hammer that would push the magneto out. http://www.fourwheelforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19&d=1250094885

RobG
08-12-2009, 08:46 AM
You will need to take the coil off before the extractor will help you much. Take the bolts off that hold the coil on. There should be a few. One is a nut on a stud which I can see in your picture. Then tap the ring just a few times with a hamer, preferably a rubber mallet if you have one, around it until it works a little loose. Then you should be able to get a screwdriver down in there, probably close to where the wire goes in, maybe even by squishing the rubber grommet a bit and working it around. That coil comes off first though.

Once the coil is off, you will see the 3 plates and you can get the extractor on there.

The part with the screws in it won't come off. There are basically 3 parts. The coil (the reddish packs of wires) and the ring being held in by the bolts, the magnet itself (the small circular part in the middle that turns if you crank the engine) and the cover that is held in by the phillips screws.

Let me know if this isn't clear enough. This is a hard process. It should look like http://www.fourwheelperformance.com/honda/ca95_magneto.jpg if you are ready for the puller.

When you are ready for the puller, break the center bolt loose and take the point(s) off since they can easily be broken. Then thread the bolt back in a ways but don't tighten it. You want enough threads to not damage it, but if it isn't loose the puller won't have room to come off.

Smithers
08-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Oh yeah totally, take that coil off and move it to the side like this:

http://www.fourwheelperformance.com/honda/ca95_magnetopull_02.jpg

Maybe a piece of wire will help hold it out of the way while you are cranking on the puller. I remember one I took off. I cranked the puller down a LOT and had to seriously slam it with a big hammer to get it to POP. And it freakin exploded apart. But it came apart! Sometimes you just get an impossible one every now and then.

Yeah screw the main bolt just snug and then loosen it a couple turns. That way when you hit the puller the magneto will be able to come loose for a tenth of an inch or however far you backed off the main bolt.

http://www.fourwheelperformance.com/honda/ca95_stclutch.jpg

Here is what the magneto looks like removed... and the starter clutch is right behind it. Don't lose any of the little parts that are enclosed in the starter clutch. Hopefully they are in good shape and you don't lose any!! They are hard to get. There is a spring behind each roller so they WILL try and come out. And there is a key that the magneto slides onto. It is crescent shape. MAKE SURE you locate this as soon as the magneto comes off. Life will be miserable for you if you lose any of this! Buy a box of Zip Lock bags. Those things are the best to keep things in order.

Here is what you will see behind the magneto. Make sure and grab that key so you don't lose it! And notice the shape of the crank end is in a cone shape. This means that the force of the main bolt will make the magneto clamp down on the cone shape crank... and hold it super tight. So they are hard to pop loose. And that crescent shape key makes it very difficult to put back on. But once you have done it your next one will go 3x faster! That's the only good news I can give you, sorry.

http://www.fourwheelperformance.com/honda/ca95_magnetopull_01.jpg

RobG
08-13-2009, 02:22 AM
I took 2 off since I had a spare engine so I practiced on the spare before I hit my real one. One of them was on there so tight that when it finally 'popped' the puller went jumping off onto the floor and I lost the wrench I had been using to tighten it for 2 days. How do they say it in formula 1... "Kablamo".

62benly
08-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Hey guys. I had to be brave cranking down the puller. When I tightened it enouph to scare the heck out of my self I gave the puller a soft tap and it all came out. One roller popped out but I got it back in. It was the most exciting thing thats happened all day. One problem I had was getting the puller to pull with all three legs equally, no matter what I did it always pulled crooked.

Can you guys check out that oil seal for me? I probably need to buy a bunch of seals huh? I got gaskets but no seals.

Thanks a billion.

Smithers
08-13-2009, 01:32 PM
Glad to see you got it all apart. The starter/ sprag clutch looks to be in great shape. A set of seals is cheap. I'm sure one or two of all the seals in that engine needs replacing. Taking it apart again would be a shame. =]