PDA

View Full Version : CA95 Clutch Adjuster Question

Hotdoggin'
07-19-2009, 09:49 PM
As you can see in the picture where the Clutch Adjuster (Giant Flathead looking screw) has a bolt missing to the top right of it... Well that bolt is missing because i thought i was supposed to replace it with one of the stainless ones in a set a bought for the CA95 online. As i unscrewed it, which was not to hard at all, i think it snapped inside so a portion of the threaded part of the bolt is still in the hole.... I thought maybe that would not be a big deal but was going to look into it this evening. I then started the bike and drove it about 35 feet to park it but could not get out of first gear and put it into neutral... And as i was trying to go into neutral, all of a sudden, my clutch-lever became extremely easy to pull in and apparently inactive completely because even with the bike turned off i could not move into neutral. Now, i've never been into this part of the bike and have never adjusted the clutch so just need some pointers on what happened here and some help resolving.

Smithers
07-25-2009, 08:25 AM
♦Well you really did it to yourself this time! That bolt is the one that holds he adjustment screw (that big one next to it) for the clutch rod. So how it works is the cable comes in from the top on that side and turns a cylinder (round thing) that pushes the rod through the engine cases to the other side. The cylinder thing I mentioned has screw splines on it and when you twist it via the cable, the splines cause the other part adjoining it to expand away which pushes a long rod towards the other side of the engine. The rod then pushes the clutch basket to disengage it causing a release of pressure on the clutches... hence the clutch plates loosen apart and slip.

When you take it apart for yourself you will see! But as it is now that one bolt is broke free and the adjuster is just allowed to loosen and spin. You gotta take things apart. You won't have any problems since you have already broken the other screws free right? There is a gasket around the whole cover but it doesn't retain any oil so you won't have to buy another one if it breaks. Just take the shifter off first, then the rest of the cover screws and it will come off so you can see what's going on back there.

Smithers
07-25-2009, 08:27 AM
Plus you really should take apart that cylinder adjustment thingy and clean it REALLY good. Then you put some new grease in it and it will work even easier. I have pictures of all that stuff but just never got around to posting it up. I already have the thread going for it so later on I'll try and finish what I started.

Smithers
07-25-2009, 08:40 AM
Oh duhh... I found the thread. I did already finish it a long time ago. Check it out for all the details you need on adjusting the Honda clutch and the shifter rod: http://www.fourwheelforum.com/showthread.php?t=103

Hotdoggin'
07-25-2009, 12:50 PM
Ok, got it all put back together. i wasn't quite sure what position the clutch adjuster was supposed to be when i reattached the gold horseshoe piece that had fallen away from the bolt. but alas, it is all back together... i was quite surprised that i had to take the exhaust off and both covers on that side to get this done.... and only one stripped bolt! i feel lucky. I did get it out and will now just have to find a replacement.
Now i'll just have to readjust the clutch i guess since the clutch adjuster has moved around... i'll read the link you provided in the below thread to see how that is done.