PDA

View Full Version : CA95 High Rev at Start

Hotdoggin'
07-18-2009, 05:37 PM
So, my bike was revving super super high at start up 2 weeks ago and i could not find the problem... i tried everything i could with my limited tools.
So i sent my bike in to a mechanic that only works on vintage bikes... He fixed it! Great, right!? No. Well, when i say fixed it, i mean at his house. I went there and watched him start it up, take if for a spin, i started it up too. It ran great! When i left last night i took the key with me. Today i had it delivered back to my house, put the key in and guess what? It starts in Hi rev. The throttle is returning, the carb is set and adjusted, The Carb is getting fuel, i tapped on the carb to see if float was sticking etc.
Any suggestions as to what this might be considering how literally last night at his house, it ran great, and now at my house it runs super high? there is no real altitude change as i live in Austin Tx. so that's out.

thanks in advance

Smithers
07-18-2009, 09:48 PM
The plating on your throttle slide isn't worn away is it? This causes the slide to stick and not fall down when you let off the throttle. Or if you use a mis-matched throttle slide in a carb - could result in the same thing. Just an easy thing for you to check out.

Hotdoggin'
07-19-2009, 08:53 AM
I checked that a couple of weeks ago and everything seems ok there. But tell me this, if it were sticking, would the throttle returning nicely after being revved?
What i don't understand is why it would run so perfectly last night with quite a few start and stops and so crappy today.
And i don't have to turn the throttle to start it much at all. I push the button and barely give it gas and she's cranked! high!
Also, I was under the impression that the Choke was on when the lever is down and off when up but my mechanic said this: "The choke is on when the choke plate inside the carb is down in front of the slide (which is when the lever is up as far as I remember)."
Either way, when i put the lever up all the way, the bike dies.

also, do you think a sticky float would cause this?

Hotdoggin'
07-19-2009, 02:03 PM
ok, i found the culprit. it was the throttle cable adjuster that is underneath the left side of the tank.... apparently the mechanic had screwed it way out to tighten the play in the throttle handle, which it did not tighten...
but i think i just made a massive mistake but it calls for a new thread, soon to come.

Smithers
08-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Glad your fix was a simple one. It's easy to overlook the small or obvious stuff. Just run it full throttle and you won't have this problem again. =]