PDA

View Full Version : Silencer

RobG
06-12-2009, 05:34 AM
To finish off my day's mad posting, I will post a new issue that has developed on account of my... well... "over-enjoying" the bike : )

The right-side muffler has always been droopy. There is (was) a small tear in the outer skin and it sounded like a few baffles were a bit loose. I safety-wired it up out of the way enough to ride the bike around. I have actually used this bike now to teach 3 different people to ride. All was well until I lowsided it going too quickly in grass. All I can say about that is... it definitely does not have responsive suspension! Still, my fault.

Long story short, I took that small tear in the muffler and pretty well tore the muffler in half. It needed replaced anyway, but I sort of forced my own hand as to taking on that project.

I know I can find some stock ones online but this is the 65' and had the round mufflers instead of the flat ones so the price is outside the range of my new grad-student budget (got accepted to Ph.D. program at Purdue but that is another story).

So the meat of my post is, I know only the theory of mufflers. I don't need much. Just enough to take the edge off the bike so that I can continue to over-enjoy it without waking up the whole county. I gave up on the idea of taking it back to completely original because I am just having too much fun riding it and teaching my friends to ride on it. It is a great little bike to have on a farm.

So, what would be the best low-cost, possibly home-brewed solution to this? Is there something generic that is cheap? I am not opposed to fabricating something since I do have some pretty hefty metal-working tools available. Plus now that the bike is running well I am admittedly already looking for my next project. Just gots no money. I want to retain the ability to take it to stock if I every decide to sell it. I am just more interested right now in riding it and enjoying it then trying to make a buck in this already strange market. I have enough spare parts to keep the engine running almost indefinitely.

Any ideas?

Smithers
06-21-2009, 06:22 AM
Hey good to hear you were accepted to Perdue. That's awesome! Keep on trucking and pushing ahead.

Yeap you're going to be making your own mufflers! It shouldn't be all that hard though. If I wasn't so lucky to get the bikes I have with good mufflers I would have already made myself a set. Then I would have all the dimensions and I could just turn out another pair for you. They don't need too much baffling to quiet down the puffs of noise that come out of the engine. I have a picture of some aftermarket mufflers that came on my parts CA95 bike. It only came with one of the pipes though and it's in really bad shape. I just saved it just in case I needed to make a new pair. It's just a matter of bending pipe, flaring one end for the cylinder and welding on a muffler of any kind on the back.

Yeah it's a perfect bike to teach someone to ride as it is not intimidating in any way. The controls are really light to the touch and the suspension is great down dirt roads and grassy fields apparently. =] They aren't really a collector item and I think they should be ridden and used anyway possible. Mr. Honda made the bikes to be ridden and not kept as museum pieces and kept in the garage.