PDA

View Full Version : The HWY33 Ride Down to Ojai

Smithers
02-05-2009, 09:43 AM
This was one of my favorite rides in recent history. We too 58 to 33 which then meets up to the 166 at Maricopa. Then down further south when the 33 splits from the 166 the pace picks up on some long straights. Then it shoots you right up into the mountains and trees for some awesome scenery. We were more intent on staying alive at speed at this point so all the trees were a blur. This HWY33 at this point is for experts only and if you aren't an expert you will become one after a couple runs up and down the section because those turns go on forever. Then by the time we hit Wheeler Springs we were so hungry and I was literally so dehydrated I had to stop. We hit an awesome burger stand that was packed with bikers. It was a great decision to stop and eat there as they had great real food that was a lot better to put in your body than fast food.

The highlights of this trip? Being able to get off for a break while fueling up in Maricopa! I didn't realize how physically demanding this trip would be and I was LUCKY to have drank some water and half of a Red Bull. If I would have known the extent of the ride I would have been guzzling water and packing on another "energy" drink. It was a brutal ride! I had never been on that loop and I was really impressed by the length. My next favorite part was the pure adrenaline through the last set of snaking turns through the higher mountains at the very southern end of 33. The craziest part was hitting that really curved tunnel at speed which is completely dark and your eyes don't have time to adjust to the light AT ALL! For everyone that went with us the tunnel was a surprise at speed and you must maintain your bearings and hold your line in the turn or you won't make it out of the other side. I was #3 in line of 12 or 13 of us and I was praying everyone behind me would make it through ok. Once you go through that sucker you will never forget it. If anyone is reading this thinking about doing the road for the first time be very very careful and anticipate this tunnel and be ready to slow down for it. It is located in the middle of the turn and you will already be leaned over turning when you see it which makes it very hard to even brake for.

I decided to write about this ride after seeing a Youtube video with a camera mounted on a riders bike. It has some decent music but the video clearly shows many of the famous turns and the tunnel I was talking about. Make sure and watch it to see what I'm talking about. Also you will see the motorcycle traffic! It has to be seen to be believed. There are motorcycles of all types and many more of them then there is cars and trucks. It's amazing. Have a look at one of the funnest motorcycle roads in California http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94fCYnDabnM&feature=channel_page. There are also plenty more videos on youtube of bikers on 33 but I really liked this one.

I'll get a few of my pictures up later on. I don't think I have more than a couple if I can find em. Half of our group went ahead earlier and took Fox Canyon road which dumps them out to the 101 freeway on East Betteravia in Santa Maria. What was funny is that by the time we got to Santa Maria later on we stopped for fuel there at the Chevron and along came the last half of our group. The Fox Canyon took a little longer so we ended up beating them to the Chevron since the 101 was quicker from the Hwy 154. By now it was very dark and it was a long full day of riding. It was good to meet up with them again for the ride home.

Smithers
02-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Here is the road from a sportbikes point of view: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKIneZbSU8I&NR=1

Sportbikes are a different world from the cruiser video link I posted previously for the Hwy33 section. Talk about an exercise in concentration! If you don't feel like you are in top shape that day don't go riding on the 33 just because your friends are. It's not a place you want to have a bad experience. It's kinda far away from town and it would take a long time to retrieve a fallen bike or worse, a rider. Ride SAFE!