PDA

View Full Version : wiring harness

oldschool101
07-08-2012, 05:48 PM
does anyone know if the ca95 and ca160 harness is the same? If not any advse on where I could get a harness besides ebay would be AWESOME :)

THANKS!!

Spokes
07-08-2012, 07:27 PM
No. The CA95 & CA160 wire harness is different.

oldschool101
07-08-2012, 07:57 PM
thanks!

Larzfromarz
07-09-2012, 04:10 AM
I am spooling up to start making CA95, CA160 and CB77 main wire harnesses with supplies and raw materials on the way. If you have a few more weeks I should start having inventory. Pricing structure has yet to be determined. If there is a good demand the price will be better.
I also plan on offering battery harnesses, starter cables and the like. Will also likely offer a rectifier conversion as well. Also planning of some LED conversions for lighting and winkers.
Let me know if you are interested.

oldschool101
07-11-2012, 07:00 PM
I will let ya know! Thanks!

jspeedyjj
02-21-2013, 02:33 PM
I am spooling up to start making CA95, CA160 and CB77 main wire harnesses with supplies and raw materials on the way. If you have a few more weeks I should start having inventory. Pricing structure has yet to be determined. If there is a good demand the price will be better.
I also plan on offering battery harnesses, starter cables and the like. Will also likely offer a rectifier conversion as well. Also planning of some LED conversions for lighting and winkers.
Let me know if you are interested.

Did you ever get inventory on these parts?

Larzfromarz
02-21-2013, 04:42 PM
Nope there wasn't enough interest in the harnesses. Still have other irons in the fire.

jspeedyjj
02-22-2013, 04:32 AM
k, im going to have to get one and i would rather give you the business instead of ebay.

Larzfromarz
02-22-2013, 07:41 AM
I can look to see if I have an acceptable harness or would be happy to go through yours and refurbish it to original working condition. Part of my former life was rewiring aircraft, so these are pleasurable for me to do compared to that. I have heard bad things about the foreign replacement harnesses. Let me know.

jspeedyjj
02-23-2013, 06:37 AM
Thanks Larzfromarz, i might take you up on that. this is probably a newbie thing to say but i dont know how to test it to see if its good. The rectifier is still on it also and i dont know if its good or not. How do i test the harness and other components?

Larzfromarz
02-23-2013, 08:52 AM
JSpeedy, There are plenty of 'knowledgeable' folks that don't understand electricity and therefore have a difficult time with these problems. It's easy to tell somebody to "get a book" or "look it up" but little actual learning happens that way. We can discuss electron flow and theory ( a way to get a good fundamental understanding) but that rarely gets our bikes running. So a more practical approach seems prudent.
At this stage we don't plan to apply any power to the system.

Think of electricity as water. Water flows through pipes like electrons flow through wires or circuits. It is an easy and basic analogy that holds up well for this discussion.
As in plumbing, the wires on our bikes are the pipes for the electricity to get where we need it. Remember our "electrical pipes", wires, are nearly 50 years old in some cases, so the first thing we must inspect for is overall condition of the wires. This can be pretty easy, especially if the bike is disassembled.We look for damage to the wires, missing insulation, damaged or missing connectors. It's about here where you decide to repair or replace. *Remember too that for stamped frames like our CAs there are internal cavities that rodents love to find and use for storage. You'll likely find damage in these places. Tube frame bikes like the CB160 the harness is usually exposed to some degree and therefore likely the damage is owner or mechanic induced.
Honda does do some nice things as far as color codes on the wires and they remain fairly consistent. (Example : Light green with a red trace wire is neutral wire in most cases,blue and white tail lights etc,) Look for posts of your particular model's wiring diagram, some are in color, as a must have before beginning work.
Because it seems complex, it's best isolate a particular circuit to work on and take your work in small bites until you win some confidence.

Testing-These tests require a multimeter of some sort either analog or digital. Digital is preferred and they can be had cheaply at Harbor Freight or Home Depot-read the book that comes with it.
The most basic test is a "continuity" check. We are simply going to confirm the the wire or circuit is continuous between the two points that we check. If the wire or pipe is broken the electricity won't flow and this wire must be repaired. Follow each wire and test between each and any connections of that wire. If one end of the wire is a different color than the other you likely have two different wire ends. On a digital meter you should set the meter to "beep" when the wire has continuity and is good. Move on to other wires and sub systems and continue to verify what is good and bad, strictly from an inspection perspective.
If your system is intact and on a running bike but you are attempting to troubleshoot a system with a problem, the manuals do usually provide a good troubleshooting path to use to solve the problem. Again the idea is to isolate the problem system and try to keep what you do simple and take small steps.
I won't argue that electrical troubleshooting is not a good skill to have but it does require experience. If careful about applying power, our simple DC (converted from AC) systems are not difficult to master.
In your case the dozen or so different circuits that make up your harness or electrical system have to be evaluated to know the "harness" is good. Then you have to the consider the stuff that gets connected to the harness (lights, horn switches etc).
Component testing requires either understanding how the component works, or having a known good 'other' system to test your component on, or test equipment.
Selenium rectifiers are known to look pretty and be bad from sitting for years, so until you test you never know for sure.

jspeedyjj
02-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Im going to pickup a multimeter from harbor freight tomorrow. Were are you located?

Larzfromarz
02-24-2013, 05:24 AM
I'm in central Florida,Tampa area.

jspeedyjj
02-24-2013, 01:45 PM
I'm in central Florida,Tampa area.

sent you a pm

Larzfromarz
02-24-2013, 04:50 PM
Don't forget when posting a pic to check the acceptable file size in the upload table.
It will message you if the pic won't upload due to size.