PDA

View Full Version : Newbie says hi, rambles, asks question!

comp_wiz101
09-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Not front-page news, I know... My father and I picked up a white '62 Benly 150 up here in Canada (an import from Washington state)
I'll have to take some pictures once it's all done...
The body and paint are in good shape, and it is running well. I am missing the aluminum shield that goes around the air cleaner hose, so I have a repro on the way from Singapore (here's hoping it fits!).
Today was spent digging through a motorcycle wrecker's inventory boxes, finally finding the parts I needed to rebuild the starter button. The original owner had, after failing to repair the original, fitted a clamp-on button for the starter.
Tomorrow, I'll solder the renewed switch in, and it'll be back to factory :)
Future goal is to add winkers... the drivers up here are nuts! - Spokes has been helping me out on that.

So, on to my question for tonight:
I don't think the original owner routed the starter cable correctly. Currently, it goes around the head, over the left side cover and down onto the starter. How is the starter cable supposed to be routed?

Thanks everyone!

Spokes
09-12-2010, 06:09 AM
Glad to help. The starter wire should route like below
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=378
http://www.fourwheelforum.com/picture.php?albumid=23&pictureid=379
The cable should tuck in between the starter and the engine case up front.

Sam Green
09-13-2010, 04:35 AM
Good luck with your new find. As you live north of the border, a bit of advise.
The C95 and CA95 have a lot of different parts in them, be carefull what you buy.

Sam.:)

Smithers
09-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Welcome!

And they took the words right out of my mouth. :D Feel free to post some "before" pics before you do to much work to it. It's always good to have pictures of what you started out with so people can appreciate your handy work.

comp_wiz101
09-13-2010, 08:12 PM
Well, fixed the routing on the starter cable. The little metal tags are missing though, looks like I'll have to dig around the shop for some scrap sheet metal and do some fabricatin'
I still need to take some pictures of it... thankfully, the (original) paint is in very good shape, so I should be able to get away with only touch-up here and there... except that center stand really needs some paint.
The owner I bought it from had a father that owned a Honda dealership. Since I bought that from him, his mother gave him his dad's old 305. Now if I could just get him to sell that too... ;)

Smithers
09-13-2010, 08:14 PM
If you need any random small parts let us know. I have a parts engine laying under the bench still.

comp_wiz101
09-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Well, I have the Thai reproduction air cleaner dust cover installed, and new footpeg rubbers. Now I need to find an original-looking 6V horn, and some of those clamp-on winkers for the handlebars...
On a related note, I just installed turn signals on my DIY electric scooter, so I'm getting good practice!

If you need any random small parts let us know. I have a parts engine laying under the bench still.