PDA

View Full Version : Apex Cycle and Thailand Ebay Parts

TMannion87
09-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum after looking around for awhile. My friend and I just bought this running 1965 Honda CA95 that has the top end rebuilt for $550. We are looking into restoring the bike and possibly selling it afterward. I found many parts that I need at Apex Cycle, but I was wondering if anyone could comment on the quality of their parts there? Also, I can only seem to find many of the other parts I need on Ebay from Thailand. Does anyone have experience with these parts as well? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Smithers
09-10-2010, 06:37 PM
Hey good to see another classic Honda get saved. Sounds like you just have to do some cosmetics to get'er in top shape. I bought some engine parts from Thailand but that's about it. I bought some foot peg rubber as well and they fell apart in a year so I won't be buying anything like that from there again. I just try to buy original Honda parts. Be careful of scammers on Ebay trying to sell reproduction parts by labelling it something weird like "old Honda stock" or "original type part" etc etc. I would always ask the seller if it is made by Honda - yes or no. A LOT of those jerks put reproduction parts on top of Honda parts bags and boxes so that you think they are mfg. by Honda. Make sure you ALWAYS pay with a credit card so that you can yank the funding right out from the seller when you are not satisfied by your purchase. Paypal won't help you so don't expect protection from them. I would gladly pay a little more to get original parts from somewhere within my continent.

I've never seen one of these bikes get more than $1,000 so don't expect to invest in a restoration and get some profit out of the bike. They are awesome to ride around and you'll be mobbed by onlookers anywhere you step off of it. :)

Spokes
09-10-2010, 08:24 PM
I agree with smithers about the asian "Honda" parts. But a nice restoration can bring $1500-2000.00 (based on my own experience)

Apex Cycle buys from asia and resells them. I bought a few items from Apex without any issues. Another forum member thought their exaust parts were crappy.

Like smithers, I buy very few items asia. You can still find some parts from Honda. If you need part numbers and diagrams go to www.hondarestoration.com and search your model and year. Also this forum is your #1 source for the greatest info for the Honda CA95 & CA160 advice.

TMannion87
09-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. On the Honda restoration site, I only saw parts for the 1959 CA95. Will those parts fit on a 65 or is that just a reference for part numbers? What's the resale price difference between a bike with all original parts vs. aftermarket parts? Thanks for all your help!

Spokes
09-11-2010, 09:34 AM
The Honda Restoration Site should have all CA95 years, and no, not all CA95's share the same parts. Your 1965 will share parts from model years 1964-1966.

An original CA95 brought back to perfect condition and period correct in all ways could fetch in the area of $3200.00 But it is a challenge to meet "perfect"

I sold a modified CA95, springer seat, bullet light turn signals, polished straight pipes, new non-Honda black paint for near $1700.00 But it was disassembled and put back together inch by inch. After all of the chrome and engine work combined with the labor hours, I probably lost money.

So really, The CA95 is a fun bike more that a profit leader.

TMannion87
09-18-2010, 06:08 AM
I still can't seem to find parts for the 1964 on the Honda Restoration site. Also, I've been looking for replacement white wall tires. Will these fit the CA95?

http://www.universaltire.com/motorcycle-tires/325-16-firestone-m-c-tire-1-1-2-inch-whitewall.html

Thanks for your help.

Spokes
09-19-2010, 07:40 AM
Try http://www.hondarestoration.com/parts_search/nosPartsSearch.htm

This link should take you to all of the microfiche for your bike. Yes, the 3.25 x 16 WW tires from vintagetire.com will fit nicely. The prices can't be beat.