PDA

View Full Version : Next steps...

mcanlas1320
06-14-2010, 07:22 AM
Hey Guys -

Thanks to everyone for contributing to this forum. As a first time CA95 owner/restorer, it's been extremely helpful.

A couple of 'beginner' questions:

(1) I have my bike torn down and am looking to get the frame, tank, etc. Sand blasted. I've had 'friends of friends' offer to do it. Is this something that's easy to screw up? Is it worth the $$$ to go to a body shop?

(2) The engine turns over and has compression. Anything need to be looked at outside of the carb before I try and restart?

(3) Thoughts on apexcycle.com? Are these what you would call NOS parts? Seems a little too good to be true...

Thanks again

Spokes
06-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Soda blasting would be the best. Having said that, I have my parts sand blasted. My justification for sandblasting is that I pre-strip the paint and my sandblaster has been in the business for 25 yrs. Sandblasting is getting hard to come by because of enviromental concerns.

If you can find a TRUSTED sandblaster, OK What can go wrong? Excessive air pressure can dent and tear up the metal. The usual green horn technique is to turn up the pressure to remove layers of paint.

Should you sandblast the parts make sure you sand the surface fairly smooth and use a 2 part primer.

As far as the engine goes. Change the oil before starting it. Use a straight 30wt oil. Measure the oil depth with the dipstick loose and not screwed in.

A drained carb bowl and new plugs would help.

Apex cycle sells a nice solo seat. Other forum members thought the exaust pipes were junk. It is a gamble sometimes.

A body shop would be expensive. The materials to restore and paint a CA95 or a CA160 is about $180.00 (putty, primer, paint, sandpaper, tack rags, mixing cups, thinner...etc) I guess you would have to be the judge to justify the difference between cost and time vs bodyshop charges

Smithers
06-14-2010, 07:28 PM
Welcome to the forum new CA95 owner. A light sandblast will be just fine. Anyone with half a brain can do it but I would just make sure to check out what kind of sandblasting gun and air compressor the person will be using. If it is a HUGE air compressor and industrial type gun (big one) just ask them to turn down the air a little and take it easy so they don't blow holes through the thin sheet metal. :)

mcanlas1320
06-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks again guys. Well, while staring at the frame (contemplating your posts), I came across something I didn't like... crack! The first image gives a frame of reference. The crack is marked w/ a piece of masking tape. The second image is up close, and the third is from the inside of the frame. Advice on what can be done to repair this? I'm guessing the one thing to accomplish is to keep the crack from growing... can it be treated similarly to how you would stop a crack on a windshield (i.e. drill a hole at the end of the crack)?
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_j0VqtzPUUEo/TB0s-XNc7DI/AAAAAAAAACA/JV0XpoN2hfs/s1600/IMG_1804.JPG
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_j0VqtzPUUEo/TB0vAgmaSnI/AAAAAAAAACI/rpl48hdSJp8/s1600/IMG_1805.JPG
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_j0VqtzPUUEo/TB0vflaEZgI/AAAAAAAAACQ/dW2yNmm_C9U/s1600/IMG_1809.JPG

Spokes
06-19-2010, 01:52 PM
I would take it to a good welding service. The metal is heavy enough to repair.