FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 11-29-2012, 10:33 PM

Default I need a valve timing lesson please.

For my C95 Benly, I'm confused about timing the valves. I think the cam sprocket mount should be in the 12:00 position and the lower mark in a direct line with it through the centre of the sprockets. The manual says the mark on the lower sprocket should be in the lowest position but the picture shows the mark in another spot.
I did do a search but I didn't find anything on it. Here's a couple of pics with the way I think it is right but not sure. Thanks, Cliff.

Unread 11-30-2012, 12:32 AM

Magpie
A really easy way to do this is to stick the keyway on the crank and temporarily install the flywheel. Bring the timing mark on the flywheel around to the pointer. If you don't want to install your dynamo housing just reference the flywheel marks to the screw hole in the case that is directly behind the pointer on the housing. Now your crank is in the correct position. Make sure your cam mark is at tdc and gently slip your flywheel off. If you used the screw hole in the engine case as your reference you are ready to install your cam chain. Works for me.
Unread 11-30-2012, 04:36 AM

Here's an example as well
Unread 11-30-2012, 06:33 AM

Thanks. Spokes, your example didn't show in your post. Cliff.
Unread 11-30-2012, 07:40 AM

hmmm...try again
Unread 11-30-2012, 09:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Thanks. Spokes, your example didn't show in your post. Cliff.
Spokes' images will show only if you're logged into the forum, so log in and refresh your page, see if that helps.
Unread 11-30-2012, 10:34 AM

Doh! Thanks! Found my laser and got 'er done! Very strange though. I logged on to the site at my office and the picture of the laser appeared, at my home computer it hasn't. I've logged off and logged in several times, refreshed several times but still the same. Next time I'm in the office I'll email it to myself and save that picture for future reference Spokes. Thanks guys! Cliff.
Update, I took a picture myself, shakey hands and all. It works very nicely. I knew that laser would come in handy someday!

Last edited by Magpie; 11-30-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Unread 11-30-2012, 08:51 PM

Got the motor together tonight thanks to your help. Cliff.
Unread 12-03-2012, 04:56 AM

Looking good Cliff
Imagine, lasers were barely in the works when this engine was built...
come a long way, we have...
Unread 12-03-2012, 07:14 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Beautiful engine job you did there. What kind of paint did you use? Even the screws look great. Great close-up work with your camera. I'm sure the 750 chassis you are working on is as clean as the engine in the background. Got any pictures of it posted anywhere? I should get another section going for other Honda motorcycles people are working on.
Unread 12-03-2012, 07:46 AM

Thanks! The paint is Duplicolor Engine Enamel 1615 for the silver. I just clean the screw heads up on a buffing wheel. It's not going to look stock because it will be too shiny but I like it like that. the engine behind it is an orphan. It came from a response to a parts wanted ad I ran in a local newspaper some time ago. It's a CB750 sandcast motor, #260. I couldn't pass it up. Actually I almost did but that's another story. The rest of the bike disappeared way before I got to the motor. Cliff.
Unread 12-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Oooh nice. That's a score. If you ever do decide to sell it I know someone who will pay top for it. That would be a good chunk of change if you ever needed to cash out.

About the keeping the stock look. It just doesn't make sense to try and keep these bikes stock looking if it's not what you want. It doesn't make them one bit more valuable. I've seen MANY more custom Hondas sell for more money when they were upgraded tastefully with some more modern features.
Unread 12-03-2012, 09:34 AM

Yes, I've had several offers for the 750 motor but it's a keeper so far. Unfortunately the wife doesn't want it in the house, she doesn't see it as the piece of art work it really is. Keeping it stock? I think I'm stuck in the early CB750 mindset still. I have a 12/69 K0 I'm working on which really should have been a parts bike. Some of the guys in my area looking at the 750's are pretty brutal at times about a restoration that is getting away from period correct. A friend of mine has dubbed them "bolt bastards". The sad part about these guys is that many have not done a restoration themselves and when you call them on it "I didn't see YOU ride in on a bike but let's go have a look at it" they wander away. I guess we're a bit too sensitive about our work!
The SOHC4 forum, like this group is a great group of owners! Amazing how many of these little Dreams are still out there after close to 50 years!Cliff.

Last edited by Magpie; 12-03-2012 at 10:29 AM.