FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 08-29-2012, 02:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martskin View Post
Has anyone tried these yet? I'm thinking about ordering a pair.
Seems like the measurements are right - and the cost is certainly low. Couldn't hurt to try. They would have to be better than the garbage gaskets shipped with the kits that hardly fit.
Unread 08-29-2012, 03:33 PM

I hear you.

Sam.
Unread 09-10-2012, 01:19 PM

Good news guys, the supplier was on holiday but has got back to me.
He is sending me a set for evaluation and will give me a price if they are OK and are up to the job. (no charge)
The gaskets are not copper, he says good copper ones are hard to make in the smaller diameters.
The ones he is sending me are Aluminium but he can make special ones for the American market made from Aluminum.
He mentioned to me about the way the gasket crushes and therefore he's sending me gaskets of 30 inside and 36 outside diameters. This will allow the gasket to crush both inward to the bore of the down pipes internal diameter and outward to the overall external diameter of the recess of the seating area where the gasket sits in the head. To be sure that the gasket seats in the correct position, I think it would be a good idea to bond the gasket central to the end of the down pipe before offering it to the head.
I will do this and let you know how well the gasket sits in the head.
As my motors are pulled for inspection every few races, I'll not be able to let you know how many miles these gasket will survive as most events only see the motor cover a few miles before strip down.
Wish me luck guys.

Sam.
Unread 09-11-2012, 11:50 AM

Sam , I was looking and the spare set of exhaust pipes I have for my BMW K 100 build are slightly larger at the flange where it enters the head than the CA 95 , but the gaskets are copper and may work . I've ordered a bunch of parts for the engine including the exhaust gaskets . They should be in next week , I'll try one in the spare motor I have . Never know they may fit .
Unread 09-13-2012, 01:18 PM

Well the gaskets arrived yesterday and they are certainly different.
They don't look like they are made of aluminum (did I spell that right ) and they do look like they might be a little on the thick side, I'll let you know when they are fitted and how well they crush and seal.

Sam.
Unread 09-20-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubsie View Post
How about these? Not cheap but could work. 37MM OD.

Here's the order page. https://store.bevelheaven.com/gasket...1/2-sport-etc/

Description Page https://store.bevelheaven.com/gaskets-seals-page-2/
Grubsie, I bought a pair of those Ducati copper exhaust gaskets. My first chance to install them will be Saturday morning, but I'll let you know how they fit and seal.

Unread 09-20-2012, 05:36 PM

By the Lake. Can't wait to hear the results. I'm guestimating in about 3 weeks that I will be ready to re-assemble my bike. Paint in about 1 1/2 weeks, spokes to re-lace wheels in about 2 weeks +/_. You couldn't have picked a better time! How long did it take to get them? Already copied your "Stainless Allen Head Case Screws". Love the look.
Unread 09-20-2012, 06:21 PM

I ordered the gaskets Sunday, and received them today. 4 days (3 business days). I did not select any shipping upgrades, just the basic shipping option.
Unread 09-20-2012, 11:35 PM

quote BTL My first chance to install them will be Saturday morning, but I'll let you know how they fit and seal.

I'm guessing you won't be taking them out to measure the inside diameter if they seal good.
Unread 09-21-2012, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Green View Post
I'm guessing you won't be taking them out to measure the inside diameter if they seal good.
Nah, just one set of gaskets to play with. If the engine is quieter up front when I'm done, then I'll call it a success.

Pretty little gaskets, though. Will be a shame to crush them.

-Kevin
Unread 09-22-2012, 06:55 AM

I know this isn't the sort of gasket-crush forensics that Sam was looking for, but here's a shot of the Ducatti copper gasket in my Honda CA95 exhaust port, just prior to installation. I'm holding it in place with a pocket knife for the picture.

Seems to be an excellent fit. Using the hand-around-the-pipe test, I could feel no leaks. I can't attest to the crush dynamics of this copper gasket, but it sure seems to work.

Unread 09-23-2012, 09:07 AM

Done.

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 11-09-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Unread 09-23-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetblackchemist View Post
Looks to be a nice fit; too bad Sam went though all of the trouble to get some made for members that might need/want some.
I didn't realize that Sam had a batch made. I recall he mentioned that the measurements differed a bit between heads, but didn't realize he placed an order.

Oh well, since we know that these Ducati gaskets that grubsie listed seem to fit, maybe Sam can cross-sell his gaskets to the Ducati folks
Unread 09-24-2012, 02:29 AM

Hey guys, don't worry or get upset. I didn't have any made, I was sent a couple of samples to evaluate. I've been busy the last week and not had chance to get in the workshop to test fit.
My issues with the OEM gasket is that, although they can be squeezed into the recess for a good fit, from time to time, I have had sections of them squeeze right into the the exhaust tract. You don't know this has happened until you take the exhaust off again. This can't help the flow of gasses exiting the combustion chamber.
The type of gasket he has sent to me looks like it will compress in both dierections at the same time. I'm off home in a few minutes and will try to get some pictures of them and will fit them if the weather picks up some, we have got the tail end of a hurricane hitting us at the moment.

Sam.
Unread 09-24-2012, 06:52 AM

I've posted a couple of pics in this thread.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?to...931.0#lastPost

Not very good pics with my phone but I think you will get the idea.

The sealing material is the pink stuff sandwiched between two hoops of corrugated metal.
The pink material stands proud of the metal hoops and is a slightly soft material.
If the pink stuff crushes a lot, the metal hoops should crush concertina style spreading inward and outwards.
I'll let you know my findings when fitted.

Sam.