FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 06-11-2011, 08:34 PM

Default Oil spinner

Before I put the side back on the engine I want to clean the spinner. I have been spraying the screws with PB Blaster for a week with no success at freeing the screws. Is it stout enough to put in a vise and use the impact screwdriver. I guess 50 years of iron to aluminum contact has caused a good bit of corrosion in the threads even though every thing looks good on the outside. Good news I now have every thing to put the clutch back togther later today.. The plates are soaking as Sam suggested . I Now have the thick plate for the clutch. It is about two and a half mm thick. But Sam said dont use it. use 4 thin ones. He is the expert so Im going to do as he says. I know later for sure. Thanks to everyone for the guidance in this project.
Curt
Unread 06-11-2011, 09:49 PM

Be careful with the oil spinner. Make sure to get a screwdriver or bit that fits the screws exactly, even if it means buying a new screwdriver or bit just for this task. Try not to put it into a vice as the spinner is soft. Put it back on the engine to hold it secure while trying to loosen the screws. The screws are easy to goof up. Push come to shove, soak the spinner in solvent like brake cleaner to clean it out. If PB can't get it loose then maybe solvent clean may be your best option.
Unread 06-12-2011, 03:55 AM

Thermal shock always works wonders for stuck fasteners. I use a small butane torch ($10 from Harbor Freight) to get the metal moving (alum expands more than steel). And like Spokes, I use an exact sized new phillips bit which I tap into the fastener for full contact before trying to loosen it. Sometimes I try to tighten it slightly to break it free, and occasionally, depending on the situation, I use a hand impact wrench. And I use a small ratchet with a hex drive rather than a screwdriver for better control and more torque. Any hardware store sells kits with multiple sizes of bits, there are many different phillips sizes.