FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 08-30-2012, 03:32 AM

Default Electrical Connections /Caig Deoxit Cleaner

The BMW I'm working on is of course 25 years old and in need of a lot of maintence. Lots of wiring and plug connections that are in need of cleaning .Checking out several BMW forums I ran across a product that really does work and should be usefull to any bike project .
Caig Co. makes several products called Deoxit ,D100 in a spray can and and also a liquid in a small bottle with a brush .I've used CRC electrical cleaner in the past but I really like the Deoxit . I haven't tried a head to head comparison but the Deoxit does a very good job of removing years of oxidation leaving a clean electrical connection .
Because the BMW is fuel injected it has very specific plug in connectors and connections that have to be cleaned rather than replaced and many connections have multiple small pins that can't be wire brushed . Deoxit does a very nice job of cleaning these areas .
Didn't find Deoxit locally , although it's used by many repair shops involved with electicrical components .I source mine thru Amazon .

Last edited by kartgreen; 08-31-2012 at 04:24 AM.
Unread 08-30-2012, 05:08 AM

Kartgreen: I have used DeOxit D5 followed by Dielectric grease everywhere I can. Great stuff. Also used it on radios (takes static out of volumne controls), etc....any electrical device. I don't know about BMW's??, but on our Dreams switches (horn, starter, etc.) works great. I found this product at Frys, radio shack, etc. One small can lasts years. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
Unread 08-30-2012, 02:39 PM

Good information. I'll pick some up. Thanks.
Unread 08-31-2012, 08:34 PM

I repair electronics part-time, and Deoxit is an irreplaceable part of my kit. On my Benley, the headlight switch was iffy as heck, failing to switch to high beam about 60% of the time. A cleaning with deoxit and toggling the switch later, it now works perfect.

Deoxit works nicer than most cleaners because it leaves a mild lubricant (helpful for volume controls) and the residue helps keep the contact area clean.