FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 10-18-2012, 02:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Scott, my experiences are similar to yours. My bike only has 120 miles on it since being restored, but I can reach 45 without issue, and 50 if I wait a minute more. I was able to sustain 55 once when I reached that speed after a short downhill surge.

For me, I'm not seeking more speed from the Benly. It gets used for casual treks around town in the evenings, so I am content.
Unread 10-18-2012, 04:24 AM

I agree with Lake. 55-60mph wide open is max for these little bikes. One of the main reasons the stamped frame Honda's were discontinued was the fact that they were unstable at high speeds. Although, if your doggin off the line and seem to take forever to get up to 50 mph, you may want to advance the timing a bit, make sure the brakes are not draggin, the chain is adjusted and lubed, the carb is snug and adjusted.
Unread 10-18-2012, 05:38 AM

I've had mine up to 65, although it felt pretty scary at that speed. 55 is the fastest I'm really comfortable going on it. It's a great little bike for getting around town as I've found out since the transmission in my Jeep went poof.
Unread 10-18-2012, 06:25 AM

I think I may have said this before in a similar thread about the speed of these bikes.
Although the weight, arodynamics, and speedometer are the same on both the C95 and CA95 one would think that the CA would be a little quicker due to it having a few more BHP.
From what you are all saying, this seems to be far from the truth.
The C95 would run up to 75mph on the speedo in 3rd gear and drop back to 70 in top gear due to the wide ratio gearbox and it not having enough power to pull top.
The CA has a closer ratio gearbox with top gear being closer to 3rd and top being a little less than the C which should result in less of a drop off in revs and consiquently more speed as the extra 3bhp and extra 500rpm would allow the motor to pull top gear with ease.
3 things would cause the CA to only do 65mph.
1. As Chip said, the motor is not in tip top shape, brakes are binding or the drive chain is to tight.
2. The rider is to big for the bike.
3. The final gearing is to high. (geabox and rear wheel sprockets)
Incidentley, what are the teeth counts on those two sprockets ? (CA95)
The C95 has 15/36 (stock) final drive which is good for 87mph at 9500rpm with a big enough weight reduction. When my bike ran this speed, I weighed in at 157lbs and the bike weighed a little less at around 150lbs.

Sam.
Unread 10-18-2012, 06:51 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I knew Sam the serious would chime in with his racing background and have the final say on this one! This is temping me to put the ol' GoPro on mine and do some top speed runs! >:-] I need to put it back together though...
Unread 10-18-2012, 07:39 AM

I have been riding the little bike to work everyday this week with the encouragement of the CA gas prices....Thanks for all the insight. I have no interest in getting the bike much past 50, but would like to be able to get up to 50 a lil quicker, I can feel the bumpers of the cars behind me threatening to push me along...every now and then I get some ahole that will go around me and give me a dirty look, like I am not pushing the bike hard enough, and the benly is giving all she has..I have noticed there is not much accelertion once in 4th gear, once I shift from 3rd to 4th the speed is just maintained, with a suttle rise..but then like I said the light turns red haha..it is a blast to ride some motorist rubberneck and really check out the bike, others dont know what they are looking at and I am just in their way....
Unread 10-18-2012, 08:07 AM

I like sams idea of changing sprokets...are there any real options, it could really make the 4th gear more usable, plus it would help my acceleration...jet black I am sure has some ideas....
Unread 10-18-2012, 08:12 AM

I think I have a dyno graph at home showing 70mph in third gear, at these revs, the speedo would have been showing 75mph.
I don't have a scanner so will try to photograph it along with a certificate of it running 87mph.

Sam.
Unread 10-18-2012, 12:24 PM

Ordered a 12T front drive gear after visiting the following website. I may have to order a 13T or 14T. heck with the 12T I may just be able to do burn outs and wheelies haha. will see what happens, but having fun with it...

http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/moto...ocketmath.html

Will report back, but hoping the gearing will free up some hp and if my calculations are correct I should have a top speed of 62.5 mph at 10,000 rpm making 50 mph much easier to achieve...
Unread 10-18-2012, 01:12 PM

I took pics but not very good from my cell phone, I'll post them in the morning as the lead to put them in the computer is at work.

Sam.
Unread 10-18-2012, 01:27 PM

Scott, it will certainly do what you expect but I have my doubts if it will fit.
You might find that the chain will foul on the retaining bolts, not a lot of room when you go that small.
I run 14/44 for a ratio of 3.142 final drive for 1/8 mile tracks and still don't get out of third gear, not sure what speed it reaches.

Sam.
Unread 10-18-2012, 01:50 PM

Default ca 95

Guys, I think you need to do some looking at your bikes. I had a63 CA95 back when they were new. It would consistently do 65 plus on the roads of Central Pa. I dont have my 62 quite ready for the road yet so I dont know how much It will do. One thing though back then I weighed 135 lbs and now top 200 so I expect some loss. Curt
Unread 10-18-2012, 02:30 PM

I did say that a few posts back, we have all put on a few pounds since then.
Unread 10-18-2012, 05:09 PM

I agree with Sam that the 12T sprocket will eat up the sprocket retainer bolts. You can retrofit a larger rear sprocket, if you don't mind running without a chain guard (or fab one up)

Back in the dark ages (late 60's) I had a small 125cc, 2 cycle, Italian made Harley that could to 85mph easy...but took a long time. I put a rather large sprocket on the back..wheelies in 2nd gear, but top end was only 60mph.

I do have a spare CA160 drive sprocket which is larger than the CA95. It will let you wind out 1st & 2nd a little longer...LOL
Unread 10-19-2012, 03:55 AM

You might try a socket head screw on those retainer bolts if you insist on the smaller sprocket.