FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 01-31-2012, 02:53 PM

Default Top Speed on CA95

1.) I have a CA95 150. What kind of top end can I expect if I ever get it running?

2.) Can I make any rear sprocket changes and increase the speed and if so what sprocket would be best?

Thanks,
Dick Evins
Unread 01-31-2012, 03:09 PM

Stock engine, full frame as delivered.

Cruise 45mph

Top end 65 max-flat road-no wind-180lb rider, bent forward to reduce wind resistance.

I think it would be easier to put a larger drive sprocket on the engine rather than fiddle with the rear sprocket. Frankly, there is not enough power to cruise on the highway. Just a fun to ride bike around town.
Unread 01-31-2012, 04:35 PM

Default top speed

The top speed of 65 seemed like flying In 1965 after riding a 50 cc cub for 2 years. At that time I used my red one s an only vehicle for about 3 years. Curt
Unread 01-31-2012, 05:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to ByTheLake

Quote:
Originally Posted by weestrom05 View Post
The top speed of 65 seemed like flying In 1965 after riding a 50 cc cub for 2 years. At that time I used my red one s an only vehicle for about 3 years. Curt
I took my road test on a '65 Super Cub, and I still have that bike in the garage. It gets maybe 100 miles a year, and still runs like a champ. Electric start, too. 35mph on level road. Can hardly wait until my CA95 is finished so I can break 50.

Unread 02-01-2012, 01:29 PM

Oh well:
I was certainly hoping for more than that.
Perhaps I should stop working on the darn thing and put my Ossa 250 Pioneer back together. As I recall, it would do an easy 65 on paved roads.
Unread 02-01-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickevins View Post
Oh well:
I was certainly hoping for more than that.
Perhaps I should stop working on the darn thing and put my Ossa 250 Pioneer back together. As I recall, it would do an easy 65 on paved roads.
Careful with those old 2-strokes ... many older ones didn't like being ridden at constant speeds on the street, especially at 55 mph or above.

Check out this article...

http://www.dansmc.com/seizure.htm
Unread 02-01-2012, 05:26 PM

My father had a 1965 CA95. He bought it brand new. The "Interstate" just opened up in North Dakota. Him and his two brothers all bought Benly's. They decided it would be fun to drive to Bismarck 100 miles away on the new Interstate. But they did it drafting behind a semi. They call could keep 55mph on their bikes.

Of course now dad would say that was really stupid. But it was a blast back in the day when he was young...
Unread 02-02-2012, 04:05 PM

I guess if I told you what speed a Benly could really reach you would never beleive me.

Here are a few quick ones. http://www.fourwheelforum.com/forum/...read.php?t=977

Sam.

Last edited by Sam Green; 02-02-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Unread 02-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Haha hey guys this thread made me laugh. Yeah you really need some trick engine work (well not very trick just more effort involved) and a bigger carb to get some higher speed out of these little engines. I recommend a CA160 engine and a little custom work for some higher speed. The 160 engine is much better suited for smoother operation at higher RPM and is stronger. Heck if you are going to go through that much trouble you might as well put in a larger engine and not have to modify it at all.

At a bike show last year I saw a CB160 that had a 250 engine in it! It looked great and many people walked right on by it not suspecting anything. But it stopped me in my tracks. It just looked "odd" so I had to stop and my eyes got big instantly as I starter thinking engine swap in to a CA95 I have.

Bythelake: Super Cub! Those are the perfect hunting motorcycle aren't they? Super easy automatic operation and I have a red one with the super reduction massive sprocket as well as the small street sprocket. Yours is super nice Japanese style right there I love it. I have an extra fuel tank in storage for the day I restore the original red/orange bike I have. I would climb out my second story window at 2am when I was a young rebel and go into the barn and push the Super Cub down the road 1/8 of a mile at which I could jump start it and be off riding into the night to meet up with friends in town to go night riding! They would ride CT70s, little dirtbikes of any type or anything they could get with 2 wheels and a motor. Now if some kids were caught doing that there would be huge fines and a big intervention and all that BS. Hah things are so ridiculous now. Anyhow it's all about riding.

I have a lot of seat time on the ol YSR50 Yamaha motorcycle. I restored one and rode it EVERYWHERE when I was a kid. I doubt there is anyone with more seat time on a YSR50 anywhere. That engine ran sooo good it's amazing. I would ride it to work, to parties, to my girlfriends house 25 miles away all the time in the middle of the night... all over the place. And you know that the throttle was maxxed out 95% of the time. It was good for 60mph in a normal straight line before it would stop accelerating with that great powerband. I had a brand new jet kit in it and a race pipe made here by Toomey racing and that thing ran so good for a long time but then at some point during one summer it began to seize up on the long straights during the summer. I would just roll off the throttle and let the engine cool down without stopping. Then I could get back on it and get moving again. That's when I stopped riding it so much and eventually someone really wanted it and gave me too much money.

I wouldn't trust todays fuels to run a two-stroke bike like that again though. Fuel, sadly, is totally different now. I remember the smell, the consistency and color of how fuel used to be. Now it's just watered down with alcohol and fillers... not much oil in there anymore. It's depressing really. I'm sure there are some great oils out there now to help out though. I good rebuild and some high quality fuel treatment and oil and you should be ready to go on those long high speed runs in my opinion. I wouldn't trust any 2 stroke engine that I didn't rebuild though! Ahhh I love 2 strokes!
Unread 02-03-2012, 12:25 PM

wow i just luv my Passport goes for ever on a gallon of gas 12V.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c70 1.JPG (64.6 KB, 18 views)
Unread 02-04-2012, 09:54 AM

OK. I'll just keep right on tinkering with my Benly until I get it going and hope it will keep up with the Model A's and T's on the road, if I can ever catch one. I'm just being facetious in this response. I will just be satisfied that it finally runs and at whatever slow speed it was designed for.
I suppose if I wanted highway cruising speeds, I should look for a highway cruising bike and not badmouth the little Benly for being in the slow lane.
Thanks for the words of wisdom to all who replied.
Unread 02-04-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickevins View Post
OK. I'll just keep right on tinkering with my Benly until I get it going and hope it will keep up with the Model A's and T's on the road, if I can ever catch one. I'm just being facetious in this response. I will just be satisfied that it finally runs and at whatever slow speed it was designed for.
I suppose if I wanted highway cruising speeds, I should look for a highway cruising bike and not badmouth the little Benly for being in the slow lane.
Thanks for the words of wisdom to all who replied.
Good call. These little machines are a lot of fun on the back roads and around the subdivisions.

For long distance I ride my Triumph, but for rides around the lakes and woods I usually grab a small Honda from the fleet in the garage. Today it was unseasonably warm for northern Michigan ... 39 degrees, so I took my CB175 for a 20 mile ride, topping out around 60 mph. These little twin cylinder bikes are very therapeutic.
Unread 02-04-2012, 04:12 PM

Default top speed

If you keep it off the interstates and other hi speed expressways, I think you will be plesantly surprised. The bike has plenty of low speed grunt and will keep up with traffic around town and on back roads.
Curt
Unread 02-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I agree. They move around town and the back roads just fine. I would ride to the surrounding towns here on the back roads to visit friends and they couldn't believe I drove my old bike that far. It's a motorcycle made for riding! Why would they be surprised?!
Unread 10-17-2012, 07:52 PM

I know this thread is a little old but I am curious of what kind of top speed you all are getting. I have been riding the benly to work and there is a long stretch. I weigh 175 and the bike tops out at 45 with wot, but on the way to work it just so happens that as soon as I am finally keeping up with the other cars at 45 the next light turns red...pfft.. I have hit 50 mph once, but it was quite a long stretch. I have since changed carb jets, main 92 to main 100 but there was no change in the top speed. I dont see how you could ever get the bike up to 65 unless you are out at the bonneville salt flats with your body shaved and riding naked....