FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 05-08-2010, 05:58 AM

Here are a couple of pics of the filter out of the bike
Front view and open

Back view

Removing the screws with the right tools as suggested is correct. You can run into trouble fast if you bugger up the heads.

Scrape and clean the "filter" with WD-40 or the like.

I get radical about the oil suggestions.

I won't use anything but Shell Rotilla Straight 30 WT DIESEL OIL. Why?

Diesel oil still has the Zinc anti-scrub additive in it. Modern oils have very little or none of this additive. Your old engine has a direct contact cam to valve end "valve train". The additive above keeps that old system working as designed.

Another reason for not running multi-weight oil in old air cooled engine is that the heat produced will break down the wax additive that enables the "multi-weight feature" in such oils.

I came to terms with the above subject by siezing my newly rebuilt CA95 engine using high end synthetic multi-weight motorcycle oil at $10.00 a quart.

I got a huge lecture from my friend with a doctoral degree in petroleum science. I got chewed by a long time friend who rides older bikes and then I did some research of my own. If you want to verify my words google" API Ratings" and read for yourself.

Get the Diesel oil at your local Tractor Supply Store. $12.00 per Gallon.

Your bike takes 750 ml of oil when the oil filter is not drained. It takes a full 900 ml when fully serviced. A quart of oil is 846ml. When you check the oil, don't screw in the dip stick to measure. Always check the oil after a short ride.

I use a nice glass measuring cup for this task.
Unread 05-08-2010, 06:57 AM

Once again thanks Spokes! What to you sugest using to clean this filter?
Unread 05-08-2010, 06:59 AM

Oh!! I see your suggestion! WD40. I guess I got a little excited and over looked that. :-) do you suggest anytype of oil additive to help in the process?
Unread 05-08-2010, 07:10 AM

I don't use any oil additives. You have a wet clutch. If you add a friction reducer additive you might make the clutch slip. I change my oil frequently about every 200-300 miles. That change interval is my thing and I'm sure you can go longer.

Sometimes I catch flack about my oil suggestions. These old bikes are a hobby for me. I don't ride the highway or take trips. Just a ride sometimes within the community and maybe 20-30 miles at a time.

So my oil suggestions are for the old Honda air cooled engines, pre-1970.
Unread 05-08-2010, 08:05 AM

Gotcha. I will not be riding mine much more than that. I appreciate all you help and direction. I can't fathom riding this bike a long distance ESP since 50 is about the top speed comfortably. Sunny day rides and Sundays. :-)
Unread 05-27-2010, 11:40 AM

Hey guys. I have recently completely pulled the motor apart and replaced all the seals and was wondering if the air filter is a element that needs or was designed to be replaced? I dont think it looks too bad it is hard to see through and I figured you guys would know if I should buy the one I found on ebay? Replaceable yes? Do I need to? was it designed to be replaced? Thanks guys!

Tags
c95, honda c95 benly dream, honda dream