FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 05-26-2012, 07:07 AM

The old coil to begin with was barely reading an ohm when I installed it nearly year ago, I am surprised it ever worked at all, it got very hot during the extreme revs and was trying to roll forward from all the vibration, so it took me a good ten seconds to shut it off.

Right after I shut it off, I turned the key back on to resume what I was doing, it was on a good 45 minutes or more before I realized it was on. After the coil dripped out some wax about the amount of a small marble if rolled into ball, I tested the battery and it was reading nearly 14 volts, so yeah no doubt about the charging system working any more...I am guessing the charge that the stator built up during the insane revving, was discharging back through the battery the whole 45 or so minutes I was away.

The XS650 coil I put on it read 2 ohms on both leads, about where one should be for this bike if I remember right.

I don't really think it was the conversion, just a coil barely hanging on to begin with and user error. I had no idea, that if you were to accidentally to leave the key on there's a chance you could fry the coil...lil late but good to know, I guess I should add checking my points for damage to today's list

I suppose if I didn't enjoy working on bikes, this would have been a problem instead of fun

Last edited by Jetblackchemist; 05-26-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Unread 05-28-2012, 09:16 PM

Hi, Gang -

So to summarize...a 12 volt coil, rectifier, and condenser are good ideas, but not necessary, correct? All current components should work fine as is. I do want to move to a 12 volt system.. And it seems nearly any 12 regulator/rectifier from a later model Honda should work, too, correct? I do admit to being a wiring idiot..
Unread 05-28-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Langman View Post
Hi, Gang -

So to summarize...a 12 volt coil, rectifier, and condenser are good ideas, but not necessary, correct? All current components should work fine as is. I do want to move to a 12 volt system.. And it seems nearly any 12 regulator/rectifier from a later model Honda should work, too, correct? I do admit to being a wiring idiot..
A new rectifier is a good idea even if you aren't converting to 12V - the original Selenium rectifiers are not as efficient as the newer silicon versions. This way, you have less power lost as heat and more going to the battery.
Unread 05-29-2012, 07:25 AM

12v battery, 12v bulbs, and either a radio shack rectifier, or the regulator/rectifier combo; after finding out accidentally leaving the key on can cost you a coil; I think adding a regulator is a good idea...for those forgetful moments, especially when doing key required maintenance. I am pretty sure that's why regulators got added later to prevent those distracted CRS moments. But if you can remember the key, then you can certainly get by with out one.

If you choose to go with a 12v coil, it will certainly give you a performance boost as I have recently found out, a hotter stronger spark gives a more complete burn, you get quite a bit more just by switching to a 12v battery, but there's a big difference between wax packed coil technology of 40 plus years ago and coils now. I'd suggest switching to one as well since they can be had for super cheap off of ebay from bike strippers, but definitely not required for the conversion. I was reading a forum else where on how to do away with coils altogether using a series of resistors, but that kind of thing isn't really up my alley. Although, I do know how to get rid of the giant heavy hulk of a battery...for those trying to achieve lighter bikes for racing etc. if there is interest I'll try and get a tut together for that.

But how has my ignition changed? Before the mod plug against the cylinder while kicking over, I could visually read about 4-6 arcs from the plug from the top of the kick to the bottom hard to really tell because it was fast, and pretty dim to see clearly. Spark was so weak it took all of that to fire it over. After the conversion, on the stock 6v coil it would fire and run halfway through the kick. With the 12v coil it fires as soon as the motor starts to turn...literally less than 3 inches of kick and its running.

If anyone hasn't noticed already, I like kick starting over using a starter...something just doesn't seem authentic about starting a bike with a button. I am not pleased that my 454 is starter button only...but not much can be done about that so c'est la vie.

I'll try to get a new video up soon, of how easy the ignition is now, and the new throttle response. I am going out of town til mid June, so if I can't get something posted before Friday, it will have to be when I get back.
Unread 05-29-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetblackchemist View Post

If anyone hasn't noticed already, I like kick starting over using a starter...something just doesn't seem authentic about starting a bike with a button. I am not pleased that my 454 is starter button only...but not much can be done about that so c'est la vie.
I like that!

Looking forward or the video update...what sort of coil would be a good candidate?
Unread 05-29-2012, 01:33 PM

I believe any 2 lead 12v coil will work, since the points are what determines when the coil fires on older bikes. A CDI in newer bike ignition systems control when the coils discharge with a microprocessor.

Determining which coil wire is always on, and which one is the pulsed on the new coil will be the most difficult part in the change, but looking at the wiring diagram from the bike the new coil is off of, will clear that up quick. In the diagram, the pulse wire will be going from the coil into the CDI first. The pulse wire this connects to on on our bike is the green coil wire connection that goes to the points. The other wire will always be hot when the key is switched on, this wire will go to the black wire the old coil plugged into. Mine is from a Yamaha XJ650 for cylinders 1&4, the wiring is orange to green, and red/white to black...if you don't want to figure out the wiring.

It is possible to go to a COP or coil on plug system, where each plug has it's own coil built into the spark plug cap...I don't have any experience with that mod, but have read about those types of conversions for bikes like my 454.

I am getting a lot of rain from the tropical storm, that's the only thing keeping me from getting something posted up video wise.
Unread 05-29-2012, 02:17 PM

Awesome, thanks for the info...stay dry
Unread 05-30-2012, 11:41 AM

Default Starting video

Pulled her out of the shed and made a couple of videos of starting and running with new coil.

First link: start up and riding in circles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpg41SjWO_o

Second video: Easy start, headlight demo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9urRcWTrRUk
Unread 05-30-2012, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the videos. I'm looking forward to upgrading my headlight and it looks like it works well on yours.
Unread 05-30-2012, 04:38 PM

Very cool...those jets are smokin'

Thanks for sharing!
Unread 05-30-2012, 06:33 PM

The headlight conversion, is pretty easy and takes less than an hour when you have the parts; I got the bulb and socket off of amazon for under 10 bucks total.

I need to change the oil, I haven't changed it since the rebuild. I'm pretty sure that's why it's smoking some, besides sitting so long between starts, I did get some oil into one of the headers too.

If it keeps it up, after a bit I am going back into the motor and replacing the O-ring around the knock pin and checking the guides...the one in my gasket kit was black and not fuel and oil resistant like it should have been, and it's been bugging me. I'll probably get new valves then too, I decided to lap the old ones since they were in spec...one of the should have done things in the build, but didn't because of rushing before a move.

It's fun flying around the yard dodging holes, limbs and trees. My new tag and registration should be here when I get back in the middle of June.
Unread 05-30-2012, 07:38 PM

I can't wait to get mine running so I can post videos of me tooling around on it on Youtube. Maybe I'll get a GoPro and make a 45 minute video of a ride up Mt. Lemmon. Nobody will watch it but then again, nobody watches my Jeep videos either.
Unread 05-31-2012, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckets81 View Post
I can't wait to get mine running so I can post videos of me tooling around on it on Youtube. Maybe I'll get a GoPro and make a 45 minute video of a ride up Mt. Lemmon. Nobody will watch it but then again, nobody watches my Jeep videos either.
That would be cool..I'd like to see your jeep videos, got a link? Years ago I did a frame up resto of a '77 CJ..
Unread 05-31-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzleparadise View Post
That would be cool..I'd like to see your jeep videos, got a link? Years ago I did a frame up resto of a '77 CJ..
http://www.youtube.com/user/Psaurus81

There you go. Mine is the red Cherokee. There are also videos of my dad's CJ-3B, my brother's Jeepster, Grand Cherokee, my brother-in-law's Rubicon and M151A2 and my cousin's M151A2. Soon there will be videos of my motorcycle which will hopefully act as motivation for some poor soul who pulled one out of someone's back yard and is working to get it on the road.
Unread 05-31-2012, 06:33 AM

Cool stuff, thanks!

Tags
12v, 12v conversion, 6v to 12v, rectifier