FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 09-12-2009, 12:23 PM

Default Bought the 160 motor

Okay, well I did it! I bought the 160 motor (less the carburator) for $175 bucks. Now the work begins! And of course I have more questions, but the most pressing is..... will my carb from my 150 fit on the 160 motor, or do I need to find a different one?
Unread 09-12-2009, 04:31 PM

That's a good question. There's nothing about this online, so the only way to know is to try to fit a CA95 carb on there. I'm going to attempt it the next time I have access to that CA160 engine that I have. My guess is that the carb that's on your bike would probably fit right on that 160 motor and work.

The bigger ? is whether you can use the CA95 exhaust with the CA160 engine. That's the question that's bugging me. It won't be too hard to find some kind of carb that will work with it, but exhausts for these 60s Hondas cost a small fortune.
Unread 09-12-2009, 04:42 PM

Default Here's some good info

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Motorcycl...ngine-swap.htm

This guy knows his stuff.
Unread 09-12-2009, 05:33 PM

Default Ughhhh....

Well, guess I better get to searching for different pipes..... I knew it couldnt be THAT easy. OF COURSE not lol. I think I will wait until it gets here to tell my husband lol. I don't want to hear about it twice. lol. <sigh> here we go again..... Thanks for the heads up on that. I am definitely glad there is this site AND the internet, geez what did we ever do BEFORE the internet????
Unread 09-12-2009, 05:50 PM

You can still keep the mufflers, so it isn't all bad, since repro mufflers cost $$$
Unread 09-13-2009, 10:05 AM

Default ok....

Well I purchased a pair of exhaust pipes, and my husband has a tube bender, (we own a commercial plumbing business) so I think we are set. Only thing is, to make sure we don't "kink" the pipes. However, I think we have skills in that department. We shall see, the engine will be here sometime end of next week. I am making sure that my digital camera is well charged. I loved the idea that Smithers had about taking pictures throughout the tear down and rebuilds so that way you have a good reference point. Like I said, great to have this valuable thread.
Unread 09-13-2009, 10:23 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Use the sand bending method. http://www.rorty-design.com/content/sand_bending.htm

They have them on Ebay but they probably wouldn't be as nice as you could make them. I wouldn't mind trying a couple bends on my friends machine but I don't have any thinwall tubing on hand. You'll have to flare the ends a bit as well. Of course I'm thinking about making some on the verge of overkill though. I've seen some really trick racing exhausts that people have made for their vintage Honda racers.
Unread 09-13-2009, 10:44 AM

Default exhaust

As we are sitting here watching spike TV, I saw your reply and read it to my husband, he explained to me the sand bending method, makes sense. I bought the pipes off ebay. May sound bad, but I am not going to get married
to this new motor and exhaust. I just want a fill in until I get the 150 motor worked on then, it's going back in the bike. So, custom exhaust isn't going to happen in my garage. Just a little tweaking to make them work, you know a DOOFER, (do for now). Well shows almost over and we're out to the garage. We are fitting the bike with leather saddlebags so I can actually carry things to and from work. Oh and BTW, I think we will try the restore and see what happens. Heck, might as well see what happens. If it doesn't work we are out what??? 10 bucks?
Unread 09-13-2009, 01:16 PM

At least your 150 is repairable........mine tossed a rod and blew right through the case!

I really, really, really hope that the 160 I have turns over, because I'm not sure whether I could pull off a complete rebuild.
Unread 09-13-2009, 02:24 PM

Oh well, at least the bike itself isn't bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0058.JPG (78.4 KB, 8 views)
Unread 09-13-2009, 02:42 PM

But this sure is.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0060.JPG (43.8 KB, 7 views)
Unread 09-13-2009, 08:52 PM
Admin

Kellie once you put the 160 engine in your bike you won't want to put the 150 back in unless you are parking it for the collection when you are done riding it. Yeah just throw on some pre-made pipes and be done with it. I'm just getting worked up on building a custom exhaust because I'm in the middle of a couple projects and it's what I've been focusing on. Let me find the pictures of the race bikes with the super custom exhausts.

Yeah that white bike of SixtyFives is a nice one. I wonder what conditions led to the engines demise. I hope the 160 swaps work out because it is one hell of an upgrade. Just make sure and record your VIN #'s to keep the paperwork straight I guess.

I'm looking at some 150 frame pictures and I bet I could make a CB160 engine fit in there without having to do too much work. That would be awesome. Someday I'll find a decent 250 or 305 Dream, go through the engine and ride that sucker cross country. Those bikes could totally do it as long as everything is assembled with Lock-Tite.
Unread 09-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Admin

Here are a couple shots of some aftermarket exhaust pipes. I know everyone wants the stock pipes but these are pretty interesting.

This pipe came off of my parts bike I picked up a while back. The other one was way too rusted and fell apart. It was made by a company called Rocky? It's pretty neat looking and much lighter than factory and you wouldn't have to worry about damaging these since they are so small.

Unread 09-14-2009, 01:11 PM

Those are awesome! If I didn't have a nice set of mufflers on my bike already, I would soooo get a set of those.

As for my bike, even with the blown motor, I can't complain. All I have in it is $200 + $10 worth of spray paint that I got at Family Dollar that I used to freshen it up in spots. It was rebuilt/repainted sometime in the 70's, I'm guessing, and had the white had gotten a bit dirty.
Unread 09-14-2009, 01:27 PM

It almost looks like those scrambler pipes are stock flat mufflers with a heat shield and different header pipes. That setup is cool.

Those pipes you have are pretty interesting as well.

Speaking of cool, check out this pic of a Cafe' style Dream that I found online. Clubman bars look awesome. Maybe somewhere down the road I'll consider doing my '65 up to look like this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 200904202048050_CIMG0933.jpg (70.0 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by SixtyFiveCA95; 09-14-2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: mistake