FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 10-06-2013, 07:12 PM

Default Chronic leak from '63 CA95 left side engine area

Wanting to ask for tips on how to stop a leak from the left side of the engine on a 1963 Honda CA95?

I have replaced the flywheel gasket numerous times, tried making sure all surfaces were clear, screws torqued down, and putting a little bit of a thin layer of liquid gasket on the fiber gasket itself. But I keep noticing a small leak of oil coming off the outside cover sort of under the points area.

If it isn't the flywheel gasket, the other part I am thinking may be leaking are one of the seals in the clutch/shift lever area. I replaced those seals, but I wonder if I replaced them wrong?

So basically I want tips on how to put the paper fiber gasket on the flywheel area and have it not leak, as well as tips for putting the seals in the clutch and shift lever area and not have those seals leak as well!

Thanks!
Unread 10-07-2013, 05:23 AM

It could be your crankshaft oil seals.
The first one (inner one) has a small hole above it that allows a little oil to pass it to lube the starter gear. If the starter gear seal is worn, this could be the cause of your leakage.

Sam.
Unread 10-08-2013, 04:09 AM

Default Chronic leak

Thanks for the tip, if I'm thinking right, the crankshaft seals are those seals that are on the flywheel basket? I know I have replaced those before, and I have some extra seals coming, so perhaps it is worth my time replacing them again.

I had a similar chronic leak issue from the tachometer RH side cylinder cover, for some reason no matter how well it fit it still leaked from up there on the '63 CA95. Eventually I pretty well stopped the leak by caking RTV silicone up in there on the mating surfaces. I burned through a handful of side cover gaskets before finally getting the leaked stopped. Odd huh.
Unread 10-09-2013, 02:12 PM

I had a leak around this area too and it ended up being a split in the sealing plug...no.2 in the attached....

Kev.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Uppercase Sealing plug.GIF (89.4 KB, 10 views)
Unread 10-13-2013, 07:40 AM

Is that the seal where the neutral rotor sits, Vegekev? I plan on this coming weekend to take a look at it (it's at my parents house currently), but from what I remember, one of those middle seals seemed potentially to have a leak (odd though since I replaced all those seals, but user error...ya never know), I want to think it was one of those clutch seals. You guys have provided me some good info though. I ordered a new packet of seals and new flywheel gasket to just re-do it all and make sure it is good I hope.

What I do know is that the leak only really occurs once the bike is shut off and sitting for a little bit, and the leak tends to start right next to the shift lever, and roll down to underneath the points and then drip from there down. If I don't clean it up, it looks like once I ride again the oil spreads across underneath the engine to the drain plug and then dripping off the kickstand as well.

I did smear RTV silicone all around the flywheel basket, but the leak still continued so I figure I'm getting the gasket sealed well, but there's some oil seal not sealing well. Either off the flywheel basket or perhaps one of the seals where Vegekev suggests.

As a side, is it just me or has anyone else had an issue with the RH side cylinder cover with the tachometer leaking no matter how much you tighten the bolts? I eventually got it sorta stopped by smearing a bunch of RTV silicone in place, but I wonder if there's a better way. I don't have a tachometer in there at all, just the housing for it.
Unread 10-13-2013, 07:48 AM

Also Vegekev, any other place you may suggest finding that upper sealing plug besides Thailand?

It seems like Ebay only has them in Thailand...
Unread 10-14-2013, 11:47 PM

Hey,
I actually bought the ones from Thailand http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/310293678...84.m1497.l2649), though that was before I found that Western Hills Honda has them for $1.85 ea....http://www.westernhillshondayamaha.c...=90802-200-000

Also with regard to the o-ring for the carbie, I know that CMSNL (www.cmsnl.com) have them. They're just not listed under the CA95 listing, but if you check the CB92 listing....there they are !

Cheers,
Kev.
Unread 10-14-2013, 11:55 PM

just checked and Western Hills have the o-ring too...http://www.westernhillshondayamaha.c...=16173-202-004

Though $8.84 bucks for a o-ring seems a bit steep! ....but if you need it you need it

Kev.
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:41 AM

Nice! If I knew how to insert images, I took a pic of that sealing plug you mentioned. I pulled it out, and right where that groove is near the lip is a small cracked area.

When I look, it seems to make sense it leaks a little bit from the bottom of that sealing plug, drips down near the clutch seals (which made me suspect them leaking though I had replaced them), then drips down where the clutch shift shaft is and then down under the points where it drips onto the pavement.

I drove it a bunch this morning to warm it up, no leaking while running. Shut it off, it took a good 10 minutes or so before that leak started dripping onto the pavement.

I'm almost certain it is that sealing plug, so I have you Vegekev for saving the day and convincing me I don't actually suck at putting into seals and gaskets...cause I was wondering.
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:46 AM

Ordered the sealing plug and o-ring you linked me to, we'll see hopefully by next weekend what happens!
Unread 10-19-2013, 10:47 AM

Oh, just as an afterthought, sorry, I'm just really surprised that small of a crack allowed an oil leak. A small oil leak for sure, but nonetheless.
Unread 10-26-2013, 04:46 PM

Chronic leak no more! Vegekev you're awesome thank you, I rode and rode for hours today and no oil leak from the left side cover. I'm pretty sure that sealing plug fixed it, just in time for winter!

Tags
flywheel, gasket, leak, oil, seal