FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > Cool Motorcycle Pictures & Stuff

Cool Motorcycle Pictures & Stuff Other motorcycle related stuff and some pictures.

Unread 09-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers
Default Yamaha Virago 535 Repair / Restoration !

I volunteered to help update a friends Yamaha Virago 535 a little while back. A lot of the oil seals needed changing, the oil and filter needed to be changed and the fork seals were leaking among other things. Here is the bike in all of its glory after doing a LOT of chrome polishing to get the rust off. I also fitted a right angle grinder with a wire brush and went to work on the tires to get the yellow haze from the old rubber off of them. The tires are actually in great shape with the rubber still being soft for traction. The bike cleaned up really well.

Unread 09-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Admin

The main downfall of this Yamaha Virago is that the handlebars definitely show its age! Plus they don't offer much control at all the way that your arms can barely leverage the side to side action. And look at the helmet... I didn't modify the picture at all. This Virago 535 is a definite size for woman, no doubt about it. It's also one of the smallest motorcycle ever to be equipped with shaft drive. It's a great running motorcycle despite it's being produced back in 1987! I have to admit that only being 6 feet tall the seat to footpeg distance is just too short. This motorcycle was made with smaller people in mind. But it gets 60+ miles to the gallon. The tank btw is located under the seat. The fake tank you see up front is an airbox cover basically. And the chrome things to the side cover the electrical relays. Now if there were only a way to fix those handlebars so that all my friends and general public wouldn't laugh when they see me riding it...
Unread 09-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Admin

Well I finally did it! I found some sweet handlebars that were just made for this type of bike. Gone are the bent and compact McDonalds style bars of yesterday. Now this bike demands respect while riding through town just like a REAL Harley! This bike isn't exactly slow either. Once the forks are redone this bike will be a great handling little run-around-town bike.

The mirrors even lined up just fine and the wrists are MUCH more comfortable.

Best of all: It looks like a normal motorcycle you would see riding around that was made in the last ten years! What a HUGe improvement. This is without a doubt the best upgrade you can make to any Yamaha Virago!

Unread 06-22-2011, 04:56 PM

Default handle bars

What did you find for handle bars that fit. My buddy has a 98 and says they are small.
Unread 06-23-2011, 07:17 AM
Admin

I just bought those off of JC Whitney for really cheap. Just measure what diameter your friends are and then go to the JC website and look around. You shouldn't have a problem finding some.