FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 05-06-2010, 02:32 PM

Unhappy 1965 C95 HOnda Benly "Oil Filter"

Where can I find an oil filter for my 1965 C95 Honda Dream? I recently bought this bike and will be replacing some gaskets this weekend and I cant find anyone or anywhere that has an oil filter?! any help will be appreciated!!
Unread 05-06-2010, 05:58 PM

The "filter" is #18. The diagram shows where it is.
Unread 05-07-2010, 03:37 AM

Are there any gaskets to be aware of if I check this filter?
Unread 05-07-2010, 05:41 AM

There are no "gaskets" but two large thin "O' rings. Usually the old ones can be reused. Prying off the cover plate can mare up the finish on the case so take time to remove it. Once you remove the oil filter cover plate you will see lots of hard sludge. The filter pulls out for cleaning (usually hard to do after years in the engine) or you can clean it in place. All of your oil goes through this "spinner" then recirculates. It is important to clean it once in a while.
Unread 05-07-2010, 05:42 AM

Mine has probably never been done! Is it pretty self-explanitory once I'm in there?
Unread 05-07-2010, 07:33 AM

Thanks Spokes! I found its location but cant seem to find one to replace it with when I change the oil? Am I thinking about this the wrong way? Is this not a replaceable filter?
Unread 05-07-2010, 07:47 AM

Yes. It is not an item to be replaced(unless damaged). Just remove the 3 screws on the cover plate and clean out the inside. You can remove it to clean or leave it in place. The manual suggests cleaning every two months. This part and the magnet in the oil drain plug are the only fixtures that "clean" the oil.

I change the oil frequently in my restores are done, so the "oil filter" stays clean all of the time. Having said that, if you find slivers of metal on the oil drain magnet or in the filter it may indicate trouble ahead.
Unread 05-07-2010, 08:51 AM

Thanks Spokes!! You are the man!! I will let ya know what I find once I crack it open. Could be interesting. Thanks again!
Unread 05-07-2010, 08:52 AM

Yeah, I'll be sure to take some pics!

Might be a dumb question but do you need to drain the oil to remove this cover or is the oil level lower than that?
Unread 05-07-2010, 11:09 AM

No such thing as dumb questions...

You don't need to drain the oil to clean the "filter". However, there will be some oil mess when you open it up. Keep paper towels or rags at hand.
Unread 05-08-2010, 03:50 AM

Default Cleaner?

Spokes. What do yOu suggest using when I clean the oil filter? I am hesitant to use anything that could damage any .. If any seals ate still in place. Brake cleaner? Carb cleaner? Gasoline?
Unread 05-08-2010, 04:01 AM

How much oil does the CA95 require? And what flavor do you suggest? I see stamped on the motor it says SAE 30 in the climate I am in but wondered if you had any suggestions. Thanks a TON for all of you wisdom!
Unread 05-08-2010, 05:05 AM

I've been using 10-30w synthetic oil for years with great results. You'll find it makes shifting gears much smoother, but it may also leak a bit more if your seals and gaskets aren't sealing well.

Also, be careful when removing the little phillips head screws fom the oil filter, as they are very easy to strip. Use an exact fitting phillips driver and smack it with a hammer before attempting to loosen. Maybe even try to tightening it a bit to break it loose first. Spend 10 bucks and buy one of those multiple bit driver sets - you will use the others for different screws on the bike. A manual impact driver and one of those cheap butane torches is very handy to have as well in order to shock those stubborn fasteners into submission
Unread 05-08-2010, 05:29 AM

Great information!! I am digging into it now. Just drained the existing oil and it was thick like syrup! Not a good sign! But atleast there was some in the motor I guess. I will keep ya posted with the progress as I am sure I will need some more advice. Thanks Spokes!
Unread 05-08-2010, 05:39 AM

Oh and thanks Rhodemon! I was just checking to see if anything else has came thru and saw you had posted the last reply. :-)2

Tags
c95, honda c95 benly dream, honda dream