FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 12-25-2010, 10:49 AM

Default simple, but not for me

so, in an attempt to make a semi informed response, I looked a little about relays. so would I use ohm's law to make sure I find the correct relay coil current, then just wire the relay before the headlight (I would need to be able to plug in 2 or three power lines for the headlight, is that possible. I've don't even know what is available.)? or would I need to run a separate power line? I am relatively ignorant about electricity an don't want to screw up the electrical of the bike.
Also, how would this affect the stator problem aaron previously posted. If there is a chance greater than 10-15% that running the halogen will screw up the bike, I don't want to do it. too much sentimental value. will just wire in one of the cheap plastic replacements.
Unread 12-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Here is a nice relay for cheap. http://www.newark.com/jsp/level5/mod...en_US/3273.xml

They sell stuff like this in auto stores for like $20 a pop which is a ripoff. There are also higher quality ones if you like to spend money: http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.co...counter_2.html

You can find instructions on wiring these all over the internet. I don't see a headlight pulling so many amps as to damage a charging circuit. I think that there is a high chance of damaging the charging circuit from neglect, corroded connectors or improper wire repairs around the bike. As a side note my little 1969 Honda CL70 has a full wiring harness on it for street lights AND signals. When I was in high school I was having connection problems with something and I noticed that when I took the connector out of the loop and straight wired a component that it worked a LOT better. So I cut out most of the connectors in the main harness and hard wired everything together. The bike ran better, the lights all worked GREAT and the horn even was much louder. So before adding a relay to the system I would rather go and remove a connector or two and solder the connections together. Of course you could also BUY some much more modern connectors and solder those into place but they are really expensive. Another alternative is to find another wiring harness somewhere from a wrecked vehicle or another donor/project bike and clips the connectors from that to use on your own bike.

Last edited by Smithers; 12-25-2010 at 04:41 PM.