FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 05-13-2011, 02:30 PM

Default Need CA95 petcock

I f*ck up...in the process of cleaning out my tank, I use acid to remove the rust. I left the petcock on and it acid ate it up! hahaha, now i need a petcock.
anyone know where i can get one?
thanks

Ps. the tank is rust free ! hahaha
Unread 05-13-2011, 02:38 PM

Default petcock

The original petcock is hard to find. there is guy on ebay that makes a replacement that will work.There are also replacements from the orient that one can order through ebay. Many of these 45 to 50 year old parts are hard to find. Curt

Last edited by weestrom05; 05-13-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: addnl info
Unread 05-13-2011, 11:43 PM

I suppose the dirty tank was the non start mystery, that sucks about the acid eating up the petcock. Curt is right on about his info, personally I'd go for the ebay custom one, unless you are handy with fabrication. The petcocks on these are how should I put this? They're not Scottish? So they're crap... lol yeah so even if you had one in good condition they have a lot of design issues...a micro screen that lays flat, no screen on the pipes at all, a scissor action for opening and closing...I could go on but I suppose you get the idea, good luck!
~Jim
Unread 05-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I wonder how hard it would be to reproduce the originals... I'm sure it's a lot harder than I'm thinking.
Unread 05-14-2011, 08:18 PM

Default Petcock

The dies to make all of the parts for the original would cost a small fortune. For the tiny market that there is for replcements would make the valve cost an arm and a leg. The guy on ebay uses an existing HD shutoff valve and adapts it to the metric fittings on the honda, thus not having to make new parts. His replacement is about 75 or 80 bucks, not totally out o reason
Curt
Unread 05-14-2011, 08:23 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

I thought it was less $ than that! That's a lot of money for those few parts needed. I know some guys that used to make custom motorcycle products for a living in the 70's into the early 80's. I'll ask about making the moulds. There is a pretty large demand for these parts. I'm not saying I'm going to produce 'em. It's a great topic for conversation.
Unread 05-16-2011, 12:14 AM

Smithers it sounds like we are cut from the same cloth, I was thinking of fabbing some stuff myself. The Ebay petcock that guy makes is with a 12 dollar harley pet and a what appears to be a shower rod holder, I am sure he fabs that piece or has that fabbed looking at the welds. I might hit the plumbing section and make mine, a 3 way valve, a pipe hanger drilled to match mounting, I am sure theres some fittings that screw together in the old hardware store. It looks like his is friction fitted to the mounting with one of those clear polyvinyl tubes. So I'm not saying his wouldn't work and thought about one myself then the, I can make that myself came to mind. I do have a working original petcock that i'll use for the time being even though I am not a fan or the original one. Save the aluminum cans a small aluminum foundry about the size of a large coffee can isn't hard to make at all beware hot metal on concrete is explosive.
Unread 05-16-2011, 02:46 PM

alright! got the tank derusted and lined! i use the Red Kote...pretty easy and it leave a nice shining red coat inside the tank. also, ordered the petcock from that guy on ebay....
Unread 05-16-2011, 03:49 PM

Default ebay petcock

I looked up the parts that the ebay valve is made from on Bike Bandit. The Harley parts come to about 34.00 without shipping. When one includes the custom fitting to fit the tank, Shipping, and a reasonable profit his price of less than 70.00 seems fairly reasonable. Remember, when one makes parts he has to include development costs and profit. I dont know what the demand is for these but there were mot that many Benleys sold. Let alone how many are stilll in existence. I was reading a short time ago that the total market in the US for motorcycles is less than 200,000 now. Imagine how small the market was in the early 60s. When I got my first Benly (1966) I had the only one in the area. Curt
Unread 05-22-2011, 07:24 PM

Sinjinle...Have you gotten the petcock from the ebay guy yet? If so how is that thing working out for you?
Unread 05-24-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetblackchemist View Post
Sinjinle...Have you gotten the petcock from the ebay guy yet? If so how is that thing working out for you?
got it already. I havent put it on the tank yet. I am in the process of cleaning up the tank and repainting it. The petcock replacement look pretty solid tho. well made. I'll keep you guys posted!