FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 03-06-2011, 05:40 PM

Question Engine Fasteners

Okay so now that I have addressed the engine internals, I'm ready to reassemble the engine. I would like to replace the philips head screws that are used to secure the stator and side covers. Most of them are damaged from taking them out and reuse is not an option. Can anyone recommend a good quality fastener? I was thinking about using some socket head stainless machine screws? I also have replace some of the other screws - oil pump and cam covers.

Jim
Unread 03-06-2011, 06:38 PM

Stainless fasteners work well. Just remember not to over tighten them as the stainless will strip out the aluminum easily. Button head socket screws look closer to the phillips head size if you want a closer look.
Unread 03-06-2011, 07:28 PM

Question Engine Fasteners

Yeah I agree the button head bolts would look closer to what was on the engine. I plan on using antisieze on the bolts. What about the 4 screws that hold the oil filter together? Would these be special thread? Somone should make these available in a kit form?
Unread 03-06-2011, 09:05 PM

Default Socket head scource

Might find what you want at: www.mmsacc-stainless.com ... you can buy one of any certain size you want instead of a box full.

Was thinking about useing anti-seize also but now am wondering if the vibration might cause the bolts to come loose....any thoughts?
Unread 03-06-2011, 09:05 PM

I checked my CA95 oil "filters" from my builds. I am happy to say that the screws are 4mm x 16 standard metric fine thread.
Unread 03-08-2011, 05:38 PM

Default Engine Fasteners

Thanks for info on the oil filter screws. I dunno about the screws shaking loose. I'm hoping not to have any leaks. I was contemplating using a sealer on the gasket but haven't done so yet.
Unread 03-08-2011, 06:23 PM

I can't say that the screws can't come loose. Usually they are so tight that you can't get them out. I would not use any sealer on the spinner as the spinner is constantly in a hot oily environment and the sealer will most likely break down. I install mine clean and tight and don't worry about it.
Unread 04-05-2011, 03:57 AM

Thanks for info...
Unread 04-28-2011, 12:52 PM

Default Where my metric fastener needs get met

I went to my local Ace hardware, with a list copied from ebay and about an hour to burn digging. They had the hex head, cap hex head, and philips very close to oem, minus all the stripping, and the threads go all the way along the shaft, in stainless, zinc, and black.

My advice do not go by the ebay sellers list for fasteners for the motor, if I wasn't such a lazy bastard I'd look up all the oem required sizes for the motor and put them here. Perhaps later? Oh and they have the domed type there as well.

If you're like me and impatient on shipping (microwave generation go figure) then check Ace out, but be prepared to pay over a dollar each on some bolts, and ample spare time to hunt through all the metric bins.