FourWheelForum  

Go Back   FourWheelForum > Motorcycles & Streetbikes! > The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration

The Honda CA95 / Benly 150 Restoration The little brother to the CA160 in our family of Hondas

Unread 02-27-2011, 03:09 PM

Default 65 C95 Piston Ring Replacement

Hello everyone,
I'm looking for advice on piston ring replacement. I am reassembling my 150 CC engine and wondering if anyone has a method that works good. The pistons are already on and I'm trying to compress the rings while sliding the cylinder down. The last time I replaced rings was on a CT200 using a hose clamp to compress the rings. It worked okay but I doubt I can do the same thing with this engine. Any thoughts?

Jim
Unread 02-27-2011, 09:11 PM

I may get flack for giving you my method. But 1st, make sure that your rings are installed correctly. The ring sequence is: top ring is chrome plated. 2nd ring is mitred (mitre up towards the top of the piston) and the 3rd ring is grooved (both parkerized)

The 2nd ring if installed up side down will result in lots of oil burning.

Now here is where I'm going to get flack about installing the pistons in the cylinder.

I fit the cylinder over both pistons. Then add oil to each cylinder to cover the tops of the pistons. I squeeze the rings with my fingers until they fit into place. One ring into a cylinder then another in the opposite cylinder. Never forcing anything.

Last edited by Spokes; 02-27-2011 at 09:12 PM. Reason: sp
Unread 02-28-2011, 12:55 AM

I do it a little different. I put the pistons into the bores before offering the block to the case studs. I then slide the block over the studs and feed in the piston pins, remember to insert the two inner pin clips before putting the pistons into the bores. That just leaves you to put the outer clips in and then slide the block down onto the cases, beats all the fiddling around trying to compress the rings while holding a heavy lump of cast iron over the pistons.

Sam.
Unread 02-28-2011, 04:45 AM

Never thought of that technique. I will try your way on my current motor build.
Unread 02-28-2011, 06:35 PM

I thought about doing it your way Sam. But I already had the retainer clips installed. I will try using my fingers to compress the rings. Of course I will not be forcing it. If that doesn't work out I will try it the other way. Thanks for your feedback

Jim
Unread 03-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

HAH that's so simple!! How many rebuilds have you done before you learned this trick?
Unread 03-01-2011, 06:26 PM

Smile

Okay so I tried compressing the rings and then slide the cylinder down over top. (That was really frustrating) After my fingers got sore I decided to do it Sams way. It worked okay but it was a bit tricky getting the wrist pins and clips in. Finally assembled now. Thanks for the advice. By the way - I'm not looking forward to doing that again for a while.

Jim
Unread 03-02-2011, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithers View Post
HAH that's so simple!! How many rebuilds have you done before you learned this trick?
When I was in my hey day and stripped it after every race, it was as many as 15 to 20 builds a year, didn't take me long to figure it Ryan.

Sam.
Unread 03-02-2011, 02:04 PM

I guess after you do a few it does get easier to do. So my next task is installing the cam chain. First I'll have to figure out the timing......

Jim
Unread 03-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Admin

Send a message via AIM to Smithers Send a message via Skype™ to Smithers

Easy!

http://www.fourwheelforum.com/forum//showpost.php?p=554&postcount=3